1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I promote digital citizenship at school?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by siltdek, Feb 23, 2011.

1. I am an ICT teacher from Argentina. I read a lot about the topic but I don't know how to start.
    We're encountering several problems:
    • Teachers use cell phones during class. Is it allowed in first-world countries?
    • Students tend to use music devices at school. They're not allowed in our country, but it's very difficult to implement.
    • Teachers & Heads don't know themselves how to use the Internet in a responsible way. Which would be the first step you think I can follow to make them engage with the topic?
    We're starting classes soon and I'm working on this initiative to help my institution. Thank you!

2. I am an ICT teacher from Argentina. I read a lot about the topic but I don't know how to start.
    We're encountering several problems:
    • Teachers use cell phones during class. Is it allowed in first-world countries?
    • Students tend to use music devices at school. They're not allowed in our country, but it's very difficult to implement.
    • Teachers & Heads don't know themselves how to use the Internet in a responsible way. Which would be the first step you think I can follow to make them engage with the topic?
    We're starting classes soon and I'm working on this initiative to help my institution. Thank you!

3. I'm also an ICT teacher at an International School and can sympathize.Educating the students about good Digital Citizenship can be a lot of fun but you need to ensure that the message you give is consolidated by the teachers.
    I suggest drawing up an ICT policy for the school- outlining resources available, behavior for staff and students, appropraite use and addressing ideas such as Professional Development to ensure gaps in teacher knowledge are filled.
    From that, you can draw up an Acceptable Use Policy which should be signed by all students at the very start of the school year (if not before). In this way, you can take action if their behavior is inappropriate.
    However, all this can not be done alone- you can draft something but you really need a group of stakeholders- Senior Leadership, curriculum coordinators, students and classroom teachers to help you construct a document which makes sense for your learning environment.
    To answer your question at my school teachers are not permitted to use their cell phones while teaching at my school although there are exceptions- I'm part of a larger team who travel across our campus so my cell is an invaluable resource to contact my colleagues when I'm not teaching. Our students are allowed to use their MP3 players at school- they are permitted in the Library when students engage in personal study and they are allowed in Art classes when students are pursuing individual projects, after that it is at the discretion of the lead teacher.
    If you 'google' ICT or Technology policy, there are some good resources and guidance online to get you started.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

First port of call has to be a discussion with the Head. If the Head isn't on board anything you try to do will be a waste of time. If teachers have been getting away with using mobile phones in class it suggests the Head doesn't care too much about what goes on in class.
    Only if the Head is genuinely on Board should you work with the SLT to draft a policy. Far better in my view to have something to present first - with the explicit understanding it will change by final draft - and then take responses from 'stake holders'.
    The starting point would look something like:
    Rationale
    A school system relies on its members to follow a set of procedures and expectations to run smoothly...
    Aims
    • Make clear the expectations ...
    • Create a positive environment which enables mutual respect between and amongst staff and students
    Who was consulted
    Staff and students were consulted following the drafting and redrafting phases of this policy. The Senior Leadership Team – Principal, Vice Principal and Stage Supervisors - had the final decision on the contents of the policy.
    Elements in Practice
    contents of the policy

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Great posts from higgi and MM leave little to add, but if you send me a PM I'll mail you our acceptable use policy which is not perfection but could be a start.
    Any teacher who uses a mobile phone in the classroom is a pelotudo (if that expression still exists).