1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I move low ability pupils on in Literacy?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Devonsent, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Find out what they need to learn as a next step and teach it. Simple.
    You mention 'provide' for them. Don't fall into the trap (as I did in my early career) that you are there to simply provide a task for the children. They need to be taught the skills. As with the Maths thread, if that means it needs to be done in a guided group because the rest of the class have secured it, then that is the way forward.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

For my least able, who are at the non-writing stage really, I use
    http://www.senteacher.org/Worksheet/35/Handwriting.xhtml
    pretty often. They tell me what they want to write, sometimes with guidance and paraphrasing from me, and I type it. Then print it out and they trace write over the work. It means they get a piece of well set out work that looks a similar standard to the rest of the class. It helps with motivation and when you want to concentrate on content more than punctuation and handwriting.

You also make cloze passage type pieces. So, when everyone else is writing a sailor diary entry, they are filling in gaps in a sailor diary with their choice of words. Again it means they 'join in' with everyone else and have access to high quality writing in front of them.

Other than that sort of thing, I agree with Devonsent. You need to find out their next steps (use an APP grid or similar for every single one of these children) and teach to them.

3. The resources for this project have been especially developed for a target group of non or near-non readers in Year 2 and therefore are not the same as those you are refering to. Nothing will work however if the teacher starts with idea that its not going to work.
    As I said, I only have the one pack left and I'm afraid someone else has beaten you to it.

4. Please tell me what I'm missing.

The child prepares one passage every day by progressively touching the spacebar to move the word focus and summons help in respect of unfamiliar words by touching any letter key. At some later point, he/she should then read from the printouts to an adult (never from the computer screen) with the expectation of making few if any reading errors, routinely every day.

Is this the easiest passage for them to read? Or have I not understood your site properly?

This is a photo of me. I am wearing blue jeans and a red shirt. These are my new trainers. Can you see what I am eating? I am eating carrots. I love eating carrots. How old do you think I am?

You expect a child to read this several times, then to print it out, and later be able to still read it?

Even if the passage was significantly easier, how do you expect a child to be able to read it later in the day?

5. I haev atotal of 35 schools currently in project for 2013. Perhaps these schools could explain it better. They completed a project at the 2011 Key Stage 2 tests

1. St Mary's RC Primary School London St, Fleetwood FY7 6EU
    Level 2/3 Level 4 Level 5 Pass
    rate
    Results predicted Sept 2010 L2/3 =48%:L4= 40%:L5= 12%:passes 52%
    Actual Results L2/3=6% : L4= 52% : L5= 42% Passes 94%
    Only children for whom a Level 2 was predicted failed to achieve Level 4. Nore the massive increase in L5s

2. Greenvale Primary School, Selsdon Vale, Sth Croydon CR2 8PR
    Level 2/3 Level 4 Level 5 Pass rate
    Results predicted in Sept 2011 L2/3=13 %::L4= 47%:L5= 37%: Pass 84%
    Actual results in July 2011 L3= 6% : : L4=47%::L5= 47%: pass 94%
    The two childdren who failed to get a L2vel 4 has an IEP and their results
    wer better than expected.

3. Westfield C.P. School, Ounsdale Rd, Wombourne WV5 8BH
    Results predicted Sept 2010 L2/317%: L4= 47%:L5= 37%: Pass 84%
    Actual pass rate 98%.9 children were predicted to acheive L3 - all acheived L4

4 Wroughton Junior School, Burg Rd, Gorleston, Gt Yarmouth NR31 8BD
    Teacher fiona Uebergang
    Results predicted Sept 2010 L2/3=25%: L4= 50%L5= 25%
    Actual results July 2011 L2/3=0 % : L4=63% :L5= 37% Pass rate100%
    Only one of two classes in this school used the Hot Reading approach, and in
    this class only, every child predicted to achieve Level 3 in fact achieved
    Level 4 English. In the non-participating class, the predicted and actual
    outcomes were virtually unchanged..

5 St Teresa's RC Primary School, St Teresa's Road, Manchester. M16 0GQ
    I used the Hot Reading approach only with eight Level three pupils. 6 out of
    the 8 achieved Level 4 English. A success for your scheme I think.

Patrick Tynan
    Head of Key Stage 2.

6. Bunbury Aldersey CE Primary School, School Lane, Bunbury, Tarporley CW6
    9NR
    Alyson Thacker, Head teacher at this school used the approach experimentally
    with just one child. The child was a Level 1 at Ks 1 but in fact achieved
    Level 4b in Reading and Level 4 in Writing.

All of these schools are now committed users across the entire age group Years 3 to 6

6. This sounds amazing.
    When I clicked on your link, however, it didn't work.
    Is that something to do with the fact that you said there is only one pack left?
    Thanks

7. Hello
    You sound like a really caring person. Thanks for your post.
    The child in question has very low self-esteem and quite severe behaviour problems. It takes a lot of effort to get him settled but, I have had some positive teaching experiences with him.
    He likes using the computer and calculators and the other day I taught him and another pupils at lunchtime, which he enjoyed.
    It doesn't help that I only took this class over since half-term and am new to the school.
    Excuses, excuses...
    Some people have advised me to improve his speaking skills first which is a good idea.

8. Eddie - while your program helps lots of kids - it still fails the very weakest students (6% in St Mary's and 6% in Greenvale)

My point is that this student sounds like one of the very weakest student.

9. I no long see literacy through a teacher or headteacher's eyes. I now see it through a researchers' eyes. You are correct that the lowest 5% of attainers were not helped in that project which was aimed at Year 6 pupils. The acquisition of any skill set is a cumulative business and year 6 is actually too late to remedy such massive skills deficts. About 20% of children fail to learn to read and write confidently using current strategies - this approach only solves this problem for about three quarters of them. Hence my additional project targeting Year 2 pupils.

The schools in that project are now in their second year of using the 'learn to read by reading' approach and they are already convinced that this years results will be even better than those in the 2011 project year. Those who achieved 100% 'pass rate' will be aimed at my 'Virtually every child a Level 5 English' target. I estimate that this will start to happen after they have been using the strategy for about three years - the project suite has literacy materials for Years 3 to 6.
    The results I posted were in fact achieved after using the strategy for at most two terms.
    My new Year 2 project is the most exciting at the moment. I know that all children in the project for whom a Level 3 English was predicted will all get Level 4 at least. That is beyond doubt. The Year 2 project is still an unknown - but that is the way practical research works.
    Any society that expects its teachers to achieve a situation in which virtually all children achieve a high standard of literacy skills MUST provide teachers with the means of achieving this aim. I think teachers should be angry that they are asked to deliver literacy to all pupils but given only the means of delivering this standard to 80%.

10. "This sounds amazing.
    When I clicked on your link, however, it didn't work.
    Is that something to do with the fact that you said there is only one pack left?"

No. I cant think why it wouldnt have worked. I have had a total of 23 requests for the one resource pack which remained. The project is only a pilot project to determine whether or not it is worthwhile progressing with. I had intended only to have 10 schools involved in the pilot. Becasue of the massive interest, I produced an extra 10 resource packs and these were snapped up instantly. I produced the teachers' book myself at home using a Combo binder therefore it is somewhat laborious business othewise I would have produced more.
    If you are seriously interested, let me know and I will produce another book and reserve it for you. Your best bet if you are interested is to email me at eddiecarron at btconnect.com. You will have to replace 'at' with the correct email replacement in the email address ofcourse but this offer is restricted to this mailer only..

11. To flybe
    My apologies - I see now why the link did work - I mistyped it I am having visual difficulties which I hope cataract ops will put right.

The site address is www.schoolwork.bz and the acess code is nor789ty

This site is not suitable for Year 2 children but is widely used by teachers allocating homework to Year 5/6 pupils with internet access.