1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I move jobs?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by bellabannerman, Aug 24, 2019.

1. bellabannerman

bellabannerman New commenter

Hi there,

I’m keen to move on in my career and would love advice on how to achieve this and options that might be available.

I’ve worked in a charity for young adults with special needs for four years. It’s been my first teaching post after a PGCE (Citizenship 11-16) and is my second career. I am 54.

I teach English (Functional Skills), PHSE, and lead a communication group, a reading group and British values. I like the students and enjoy the variety of the role. My students have a wide variety of special needs (they tend to be at the more able end of SEN, working at E2 – L2) and my role is rewarding. I like my colleagues too but there is no prospect of career progression and the pay and holidays are not good.

It feels like time to move on. I’d love to find a way to use the skills and experience I have in a slightly different way. I don’t find teaching high-need/PMLD appealing. I love working four days a week and have seen very few part-time opportunities and I am nervous about moving back into a mainstream school.

The options that occur to me are:
    · A post-grad. training towards a SENCo role.
    · A project management training – with the aim of then selling projects and training. I have no idea whether this is economically viable but feel there must be another way of using my skills from my current and previous careers (audio production).
    · A job teaching Functional Skills at an FE college which might come with slightly better terms and conditions (I have done this previously).

I’d be really gratefully for any advice.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

I would make an appointment with a careers advisor. Good luck!

3. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Human resources
    Training manager
    Teacher recruitment
    Pastoral role
    University work