1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I motivate a low set 5 German class to get involved in lessons?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by LAS18, Mar 22, 2011.

1. I am currently 4 weeks in to my Long Placement and I am struggling to engage a set 5 year 9 German class in lessons. They struggle with the content, particularly new vocabulary, and need lots of repeatition. But, this results in the more able ones becoming bored and the less able becoming frustrated when they can't do it and this can lead to bad behaviour which disrupts lessons further.
    They are learning German until Easter but then go back to French until the end of term. Most of the pupils have not chosen a language for year 10 and therefore seem to think that learning them now is pointless.
    How can I change their minds, or at least get them to engage with the work and enjoy what is left of their MFL learning??

2. Differentiation is key here. I have a very similar problem. Normally what I do is do repetition for a short time then do some kind of game that gets everyone repeating such as getting one person to go out the room, the other repeat the vocab until they find a hidden object in the room. They love that! Then I move the lesson on to a quiet worksheet that starts with a match up, then some kind of gapfill then goes up to a simple sentence building activity. That way the more able ones can move on at their own pace. Never be afraid of giving them word searches either. Hope that helps.

Anna

3. Differentiation definitely important. There's also a lot you can do to 'trick' them into drilling vocab without really realising it. Games and appealing to their competitive natures can be useful. Do you have show me boards? My lower sets love these. I use them with a spinner a lot and give points from 5-1 depending on who holds up answer first. Everyone gets a point if they write the word. Another good game is to fade the pictures to transparent and very slowly reveal them - pupils write them on show me boards. I do this for points too. You can also put up pictures with points hidden behind them - make the numbers really varied and include some negatives. Cover pics and get them to choose one. All teams that write it correctly get a point, team that picked get the hidden points too. This is great as it's random and so everyone can win at different times. Finally when repeating vocab try going from very quiet to very loud - they'll not notice how many times they're saying them then! Hope these ideas help.