1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I make story planning fun?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ceri2evans, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi
    In the past I have used the story hill to get children to plan their own stories but I am wondering if anyone would mind sharing their experiences of teaching children to plan their own stories differently.

I have read children a story 'The Giant of Gilfach' and I want them to write their own story about the giant in our local town who lives in our local castle who scares the town people.
    I then want children to do a story plan including a brief description of their giant (which they would have done in detail teh previous day) and the town and I want them to plan two other characters to be in the story - one character will get rid of the giant but children have to decide how.
    I'm thinking of possibly using the big dice that you can stick pictures in for the lower ability but I want my middle and upper to think of the solution themselves.

I would really appreciate any advice or experience of teaching this in a fun way rather than telling them they are going to plan their own story and then they use a story mountain to plan it. I would love any teaching strategies that you use to teach story planning in an exciting/different way if you don't mind?
    Thanks

2. Hi
    In the past I have used the story hill to get children to plan their own stories but I am wondering if anyone would mind sharing their experiences of teaching children to plan their own stories differently.

I have read children a story 'The Giant of Gilfach' and I want them to write their own story about the giant in our local town who lives in our local castle who scares the town people.
    I then want children to do a story plan including a brief description of their giant (which they would have done in detail teh previous day) and the town and I want them to plan two other characters to be in the story - one character will get rid of the giant but children have to decide how.
    I'm thinking of possibly using the big dice that you can stick pictures in for the lower ability but I want my middle and upper to think of the solution themselves.

I would really appreciate any advice or experience of teaching this in a fun way rather than telling them they are going to plan their own story and then they use a story mountain to plan it. I would love any teaching strategies that you use to teach story planning in an exciting/different way if you don't mind?
    Thanks

3. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

If I were you, next time you're trying to do this, part way through the unit I would get them to learn a shortened version of the text. use actions for key parts - so, if you're focusing on sentence starters - adverbs, you would use actions for each adverb. Once the story has been learnt, you and the children can play around with changing parts of it to impact differently upon the reader. They plan their own story based upon the structure of the learnt story. I would use a story path with them - basically a large sideways S on the page and they map out the story from start to finish and, depending on their ability, add particular words and phrases to it. Once that part has been planned, chn go through their story and tell it to their partner, with actions if they choose. I would then spend a week writing it - one day for each section - they could have split up their story map to indicate the five sections. Alternatively, they could have used boxing up to plan it out.
    Hope this all makes sense - Pie Corbett to the rescue! :D

4. Hi Ceri
    Are you anywhere near London?
    We do a KS2 workshop at the Victoria & Albert Museum named 'Make your own story' which uses the stories behind one of our objects (Tipu's tiger) to help the children construct their own story about an object of their choice. This helps with the 5 Ws (What, Where, When, Who, Why) and then we use drama to construct the stories into a body (often using music and props as well)
    Take a look at our website should you want to know more http://www.vam.ac.uk/school_stdnts/schools/Primary%20Schools/index.html , or do get in touch, I'm on 0207 942 2776 or g.brownson@vam.ac.uk. I'm the programme manager for the Creative Workshops.
    Thanks, Gill