1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I lead staff in great teaching, learning and CPD?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cds202, Mar 17, 2016.

1. cds202

cds202 New commenter

Hello,

I have an interview for an assistant head post focusing on teaching, learning and CPD. I have to do a presentation on these topics. I have some ideas about what I want to include but what would be the key features you would expect to see in a presentation on this topic?

Any ideas/advice would be great,

[This post has been edited to remove the name of the poster who could otherwise be identified by the school to which the application is being made]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
  2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview - you have impressed them already!

Now about our ideas on leading staff in great teaching, learning and CPD . . .

I'm afraid that our policy is NOT to give ideas for interview lessons or presentations, for a load of reasons that I am sure you can think of yourself!

Number one is that the Head may be reading this post at the same time as you, and getting ready to ask you Can you explain why your presentation is very similar to the suggestions on the TES website - what is your TES username? ;) (Which is why I have edited your post above, by the way)

Or even worse, three other candidates read the ideas we give, and the question is why all the presentations are all so similar. :)

Don't think it cannot happen - we have had examples in the past . . . :(

And, of course, once you get the job you won't be able to Phone-a-Friend or Post-a-Query ten times a day . . .

So it needs to be your own thoughts here, get that thinking cap on!

HERE are some suggestions from the poster nomad on HOW to give a presentation.

And here are my advice articles on Interviews in general.

Interviews advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Does calling for a reference mean that you've been shortlisted for interview? ***NEW ***

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question? *** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On here we have a very nice tradition that when you actually get a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

Make sure you congratulate someone when you see a thread like that!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes

wanet likes this.
  3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Speaking as a former head - YOUR ideas. I'd be very angry if I appointed someone who couldn't even think up their own presentation on an easy topic like this, but instead had cribbed it from someone else.

wanet likes this.
  4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Make sure your ideas for T&L are evidence-based

If it's a great forward-looking school that would be lovely to work in, you stand a better chance

If it's a normal school, you'll scare them half to death.

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Speaking as a Head I would want to hear your ideas, not someone else's. You have obviously thought about it so go with the ideas that you have formulated.

Good luck