1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I improve my video Tutorials on Chunking and the Grid Method? Please complete the surveys!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by kim67ed, Apr 7, 2011.

1. I am a Maths student from the
    University of Bath and am undertaking a Primary PGCE
    next year. As part of a university project I have made two videos on Chunking (for division) and the Grid Method (for
    multiplication). The videos are aimed at either struggling children or
    parents who want to help their children with homework.

Please could you help me out by watching the short videos and filling out the quick surveys?

Chunking video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF4h76R99_Q

Chunking survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DK3CJLJ

Grid Method video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMLf6sQLa40

Grid Method survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/D8BFVSK

IF YOU WATCH THE VIDEOS PLEASE
    COMPLETE THE SURVEYS! I really need to know how to improve for my
    report.

Thank you so much for your help

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I got as far as "my name is..." and then realised the first video on chunking was 5 minutes long.
    So I closed the browser window.
    Videos need to be fast and direct. You need to start with what will interest the audience; introducing yourself in an adult environment in a business presentation is all very well but 5 seconds after starting the video your target audience will already be on facebook or looking elsewhere on youtube for something more amusing. (Cats in toilets are popular with my year 11s...)

3. Well, I thought the division by chunking was well presented, clear and concise [didn't look at the grid one] [​IMG]
    The only suggestion I would have is the inclusion of a couple of 'test' questions for the audience to try as they pause the video before restarting it to see the solutions.
    There are loads of people trying to do this sort of thing on t'interweb and it works for many parents trying to learn new methods their children are taught.
    Good on you.

4. I have never 'chunked' in my life so it was nice to learn it.
    I think you have a great voice for a teacher and presenter.
    Tuition videos and teaching 'live' in a class are two different beasts and I think you have done OK
    My suggestion would to put 10 up at the end, tell them to hit pause and put the answers up some 5 seconds later to make it more interactive.
    I think primary pupils will respond very well to your nature

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Let me give you some advice. Don’t shout at people when you’re asking their help. If you must emphasise a point then do so as you would, hopefully, anywhere else; italicise. Make your point once and make it clearly.
    Here’s a second piece of advice, for each of you in the videos. Don’t preface every other comment with “so”. It’s as irritating as the misuse of “like” where, as here, it is neither use nor ornament. Whenever you feel the word “so” about to pop into your composition or exposition then examine your assumption that you‘ve detailed the last step as clearly as you can, that it implies the next step and that there is an easy continuity between these which your intended audience may follow.
    “So” is like a magic carpet when it comes to maths teaching - the so-so teacher sits on it and makes like he’s flying but as far as the pupils are concerned he’s just sitting on a rug, making silly faces and waving his arms.
    One more piece of advice. Inflict your videos upon their target audience and test to see whether they can approach an effective reproduction of the examples demonstrated in the videos before moving on to other exercises.
    There are other problems. If I can be bothered then I’ll think about possibly scheduling some time to consider filling out your surveys at some point in the future. Good luck.

6. weggster

weggster New commenter

I'd advise making the videos as short as possible due to the short attention span of students.
    Use as much colour as possible in the writing.
    Put in a few pause sections so students can have a go at the question themselves.
    No need to have you in the video except your hand, a shorter focus is best.
    Remember that students can "rewind the video" (showing my age there), don't talk too slowly but allow some "thinkng space" so students can build in their own cognitive links.
    3 minutes is a good length for a video but 5 -7 can work for longer topics (I'm in the middle of doing videos for the full Add Maths (FSMQ) course and the students are finding them very useful).
    Remember that any video is worth doing, even if it's not the best it might help a student who didn't understand other "better" videos.
    Hope this helps.