1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I help this yr11 pupil?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by beats, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Year 11 sat their mocks before Christmas, and they all receieved their results today. One pupil (set 1) has underperformed by two grades. This pupil is bright, and I know if the exam was an oral, they'd be walking out with at least a B. It is not a question of revision, or lack of, and the pupil is fully aware of how the examiner expects each question to be answered (Edexcel). When the pupil gets into an exam, or a class test, they cannot put their ideas down on paper.

Has anyone got any ideas that I could try to help? I am going to speak to other teachers to see if this is something that just affects RE or whether it is across the board, but I would be grateful for some ideas, or suggestions for websites/books I could use to work out how to help.

Cheers in advance.

2. Year 11 sat their mocks before Christmas, and they all receieved their results today. One pupil (set 1) has underperformed by two grades. This pupil is bright, and I know if the exam was an oral, they'd be walking out with at least a B. It is not a question of revision, or lack of, and the pupil is fully aware of how the examiner expects each question to be answered (Edexcel). When the pupil gets into an exam, or a class test, they cannot put their ideas down on paper.

Has anyone got any ideas that I could try to help? I am going to speak to other teachers to see if this is something that just affects RE or whether it is across the board, but I would be grateful for some ideas, or suggestions for websites/books I could use to work out how to help.

Cheers in advance.

3. I would use some writing frames with them to drill in a set formula of how to set it out then they can fill in the end with the knowledge that they know.

I would also get them to write it on the exam paper as soon as they are allowed to write as a reminder - surely it can't be all of the questions - perhaps just the cs or similar??

For example c question -
    Roman Catholics believe ______________ because (Bible quote here)
    Some other Chrisitans think ___________________ because (Bible quote here) etc

I would also give them a GCSE question - get them to jot their ideas down to answer it in bullet points. Then give them a modle answer/other pupil's answer to read through. Then get them to write the answer themselves using their original notes.

4. I'd echo everything Leviosa has said.
    In addition it might be worth investigating why they struggle. Do they panic and get up-tight. If so they might benefit from learning some deep-breathing or relaxation techniques to help them calm down to a level at which they can function.

5. Cheers for those pointers, I'm going to speak to the pupil tomorrow before the test and I'll get the whole class doing some relaxation/brain gym techniques before they start to see if it helps some unwind a little.

6. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I do appreciate that you are making it clear that there are many different ways of being a Christian by contrasting what Catholics and other Christians may believe or think in this way - but it still sets my 'alarm bells' ringing.

In my view the most important thing in RE is to embrace an attitude of sincere concern for what is true - and the fact is that the term Catholic is used by millions of Christians - and includes a huge variety of belief. Also bible quotes to not answer the question of why a Christian thinks or believes something.

If we teach this kind of formulaic way of answering questions in exams, we may achieve good results but we are actually teaching falsehood. We are teaching rubbish because this is certainly not how most real flesh-and-blood Catholics or Christians of any denomination come to understand what is true or not true about anything.

As long as you discuss this often with your students - so they know the truth of the complexity and diversity of opinion to be found, then it is OK to prepare a statement such as

Christians interpret the teachings of the Bible in different ways. Catholics are also guided by the Pope who is the head of the Catholic Church.

Many Catholics believe ................................ because they accept (Bible Quote - and/or quote from a Papal source)
    Some Fundamentalist Christians believe ....................... because they take the Bible as literal truth. So when they read (Bible quote) they take it at face value.
    Other Christians who have a more liberal understanding of the Bible may think ...................... because when they read (Bible quote) they interpret it as meaning ..........................

This sounds complicated but it is absolutely essential to convey if we are not to distort the truth and teach what I call 'Mickey Mouse RE' which turns any thoughtful student completely off the idea of religion and makes them think that anyone who is a practising Christian (or other religion) has no integrity and just blindly follows something without thinking about it at all for themselves.

It simply is not true that all Roman Catholic Christians believe the same thing about anything. And in over 50 years I have never met two Christians who interpret the Bible or understand what it means to be Christian in exactly the same way.

7. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Sorry my computer is not formatting paragraphs and I forgot to add
    which I think makes it change para.