1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I get the children to work more quietly?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by wolls, Oct 24, 2007.

1. I wonder if anyone could please offer me any help/tips that have worked with you. I teach reception and everything is going ok apart from the noise level. When we are on the carpet etc. they are extremely quiet and listen well, but when we are working/playing independently the noise level is horrendous. The classroom is only small and so when I am working with a group it is very hard as the noise level around us if horrid. There is no where else within the school where I can take groups to. At the moment I am stopping them every so often when the noise level gets too bad and I ask them all to stop what they are doing and be silent for 1 minute. They do this no problem but as soon as they go back to work/play, the noise level just goes up and up again, so this is not really working. Any ideas please?

2. I wonder if anyone could please offer me any help/tips that have worked with you. I teach reception and everything is going ok apart from the noise level. When we are on the carpet etc. they are extremely quiet and listen well, but when we are working/playing independently the noise level is horrendous. The classroom is only small and so when I am working with a group it is very hard as the noise level around us if horrid. There is no where else within the school where I can take groups to. At the moment I am stopping them every so often when the noise level gets too bad and I ask them all to stop what they are doing and be silent for 1 minute. They do this no problem but as soon as they go back to work/play, the noise level just goes up and up again, so this is not really working. Any ideas please?

3. Do you have no access to outdoors?

I tend to explain to mine that we do our noisier play out side (I know it is stereotypical but it makes more sense where there is room to rush about) and we use quiet voices inside where being inside 4 walls makes things seem louder (we experiment with this concept at the start of term - lots of whispering and shouting!

I keep a bin by the door with a sign saying 'noisy voices in here please'. On the way in each morning, they deposit said voices (literally shouting into their hands in some cases and 'dropping' the voice in the bin!). They can collect them for outdoor play and home time.

Sometimes people borrow them for noisy indoor play with permission. Sometimes I remind an individual who is shouting indoors that they 'have the wrong voice in' - they enjoy going to the bin to pop it back...

Seems to work for us. I also use a set of little bells to shake if it is getting generally too noisy - they quieten down when they hear them and it stops me having to raise my voice and shout at them not to shout - which always seems a bit of a mixed message!

4. We've been putting our noisy voices in our pockets, will have to try the bin as they are very tempted to get them out of their pockets!

5. Thanks Phoebe for the advice. We do outdoor play but this is limited as we share with nursery and as the space is not very big we cannot fo out together and so have a slot on a timetable which is far from ideal. I like the idea of leaving their noisy voices in a bin at the door, I will try this when we go back after half term. Thanks again.

6. Love these ideas, and am going to try tomorrow! Any more ideas for a girl-heavy, but very noisy class of rec/yr1?
    Thanks!