1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I get out of a bad career move ?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Hassledhof, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Hassledhof

Hassledhof New commenter

Hello,

I recently moved from being a HOD to being a HOD in a different school, I took a gamble as I was headhunted rather than by a normal application process. However, I realise that I have made a mistake, as the " can of worms" and school culture is making me stressed, unhappy and ill. Any thought on how I can extricate myself from this situation - I feel as though my endurance is measured in hours, not months !

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Only you can answer that one - since I assume you can't go back to where you were you must try and impress as a new HOD and then move on again.

School culture is everything - the one in my current one isn't what it should be and we're struggling.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In order to move on, you will need evidence of success at your current school, and a supportive reference.

So this means gritting your teeth and doing your best to shine where you are, despite the problems. There is no magic wand to be waved that will whisk you out into fairyland.

You know that really . . . and it is not the answer that you hoped for, although probably the one that you expected!

Best wishes.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Out of interest - what made you take what was essentially a sideways move?

5. Hassledhof

Hassledhof New commenter

Good q. New challenge, different intake ?
    Thatz me f*cked then. Head is an emotional blackmailer. Told me today I was "too old " an that "teaching was a young persons game". Bye bye education.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I hope that you sat down immediately and wrote an email along these linrs:

Dear X

I must admit that I was a little confused to be told today that I am too old, as teaching is a young person's game.

Could you just explain a bit more what you meant by this?

This is then going to be your ammunition for a very interesting case of age discrimination.

Best wishes

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Was he saying it in a pointed way or in a jokey off the cuff manner? Just that I've had similar things said but they were always jokey.

If he thinks you are too old then why did he headhunt you? Or were you headhunted by an Academy chain to go in to his school? Or an agency?