1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I get my books reviewed by the TES?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by StanleySteamer, Aug 21, 2019.

1. StanleySteamer

StanleySteamer New commenter

Title says it all. Any help will be gratefully received.

2. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @StanleySteamer,

Details of who you need to contact are at the bottom of a recent book review here.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I don't know, Stanley!

I've written Do it with Dunty, Down with Dunty, Diet with Dunty, Dance with Dunty and Dunty's Dungeon!

Not once have they been acknowledged!

Aunty Dunty

Tes Agony Aunt

4. StanleySteamer

Hi All, I have acted on @tes-rosaline ' s info but it says, "if you want to review a book". I want my book reviewed by a member of the TES staff.
    I was also informed in a "chat" that the person to contact on TES staff was ann.mroz@tes.com so i sent her an email but have so far not received a reply. I was thinking that this might well be because she is on holiday or maybe just exceedingly busy and has not got around to me yet.
    I think I must just be being thick, as this must be possible surely?
    So, I will keep on digging, as now is the time to get them reviewed, at the beginning of term.
    Stan

5. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

It sounds like you have been advised by a member of the editorial team. It's just a matter of waiting or sending another email, depending on when you sent your first one. I am sure the editor will be in touch if the team wish to review the book.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Most irregular!

They form the core of my small but highly informative home library.

7. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

There's no need to look any further than these titles when planning an outstanding English lesson about alliteration.:)

Dunteachin and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Ann Mroz is the Editor of TES magazine so I imagine she is the person who decides whether TES have any interest in reviewing a book you have written. My guess is the TES Editor get a constant stream of people wanting their books reviewed (aka giving them free advertising) and most of them don't get reviewed at all. That's just my guess though.

Either way, even if Ann Mroz isn't currently on holiday, you probably don't come very high in the list of priorities. Wait a few weeks and if still no reply send a follow up.

9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I did well with my 'High Hopes In El Dorado' with the eponymous Hopes.

My 'Prophylactic Departure' seemed to please but that was down to my heroine Kiki.

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Where might we pur-chase said tomes?

11. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Any good adult bookstore.

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Probably true, though. In the days when the TES produced subject-specific inserts, there was always a good selection of textbook reviews, but they don't seem to bother any more.

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. StanleySteamer

Rosaline, thanks ever so much.

Thank you for answering and your advice.

I will send another email to ann.mroz, and this time I will attach a link to the books on Amazon so that she can have a "Look inside" which might help.

All the best

John Hammond

14. StanleySteamer

Other places, like Mumsnet, will review a book on request but they want £300 to do it. I am as green as grass in all this, is this the way it is at the TES as well? No one has mentioned paying for a review. There are tons of reviews on this site, would some kind person who has managed to get a book reviewed pitch in and tell us how they managed it?
    Thanks
    John Hammond

15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Can't answer your question but, not being an author myself, I'm just curious; isn't paying to have your book reviewed just buying advertising?