1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I get help to with my Maths GCSE?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by truther000, May 10, 2011.

1. I am a 28 year old guy with a good Honours Degree in History and a good academic Background with Science and English and I would like to get onto a PGCE Primary Teaching course. Only problem is that have not got Maths GCSE at C Grade. I'm aweful at Maths and have failed the AQA GCSE paper a few times now. I really need some advice and help to get the Maths GCSE Grade C. What are the Easier GCSE Maths exam boards? Are their any Adult Education services that could help me with my Maths? I live in the Birmingham area.

2. I don't think you'll be able to find an easier Maths exam board, it's not about that being a more difficult test it's about you not having the knowledge to pass it. You'll have the same problem regardless of the exam board. I would suggest approaching your local colleges and asking them if they do a Maths GCSE course.

3. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

Just a word of caution re. teaching in Primary schools if you find maths really horrendous - Maths is a core subject and in most schools you would be expected to teach a 45minute session of Maths every day. (sometimes only 4 sessions but it's still a lot over the course of a year).
    You do need to be secure in your own maths knowledge and understanding - re-doing your Maths GCSE sounds like a good idea - perhaps your local FE college runs Adult Ed.evening classes (if you have a day time job) - my local one offers various courses. One other alternative, if you can afford it, is to get some private tutoring, tailored specifically to the areas that you find tricky. The advantage of that is that it can be done at your own pace.
    If you live near a Uni, you may find that there are students who would be happy for the chance to get a bit of income.

Hope it all goes well for you

4. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

'perhaps your local FE college runs Adult Ed.evening classes (if you have a day time job) - my local one offers various Maths courses, including GCSE'
    Sorry, forgot to put the relevant info into that sentence!