1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I get a year 5 class to make a solar powered car please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, May 7, 2011.

1. I'm on my final block teaching practice at the moment, in a year 5 class. We're just finishing learning about litter and the impact that this has on the environment and animals and then I'm going to be teaching them about renewable and non-renewable sources of energy. The class teacher wants me to get them to make a solar powered car. I have been on youtube and seen really cool cars that people have made using a plastic bottle, some wheels, a solar board and a DC motor and a few other things I didn't recognise. The only problem is that I have no idea where to buy solar boards from or DC motors. The school has a couple of very small solar panels but there wouldn't be enough for the whole class and I can imagine that buying 25 solar boards would cost me a fortune. What should I do please? I'll be discussing it with the class teacher but because I'm teaching this in a few weeks, I want to be prepared and have resources etc ready. Thanks in advance.