1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I find more tutees for Modern Languages ?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by REVEKKA, May 4, 2012.

1. Dear reader ,

I have been working as a tutor for modern Greek , (Beginner's level , Intermediate and Advanced) .As well as for Undergraduate and Post graduate level .Always Academically orientated .And , as I do work for <> .I also do work as a Translator and Interpreter .Fro Greek/cypriot and French clients of the NHS .Despite the fact that I have worked with many clients , as grouped together , so far .My question is :How can I work more as a Tutor .But also I would like to ask whether other alternatives do exist .LIke fro example , as I am in my final year of my French Studies Degree .It is quite likely , that I would be continuing my English Degree .After September coming !
    However as I do need more financial income coming into my house .Or , what I am trying to express here is , how can I become more approachable ,how can I persuade the tutee and his/her parents to select and favour me ?(As soon as they come up with a tutor request like for example .)Plus , also how can I work more hours in the public or private sector .Whilst giving lessons to students .(Privately or at school) .Also how can I be more successful with Primary, Secondary and Further Education ?And , also give me the opportunity to give lessons in Greek(Modern) ,French (All levels ) ,English may be as a foreign language , too ?
    I am at this stage looking at all of my options .And , I do bare in mind that a Graduates' Jobs fair is bound to take place , in Manchester .However I would also like to ask for an advice from any one who knows more about the Academic /Educational Sector .And , let me know more about other optional choices that I could potentially and Financially benefit a lot from it .Plus I will be graduating this October 2012 .But , I also still have my 2 full time Academic years at Undergraduate level .In BA(Honours) for French Studies and Linguistics ! I am also trying to succeed with my Modern Greek Studies .Presumably with Greece ..!!
    I would love to hear from someone who shares the same concerns and experience .

Thank you
    Miss Rebecca M .Alexopoulou .

2. Dear reader ,

I have been working as a tutor for modern Greek , (Beginner's level , Intermediate and Advanced) .As well as for Undergraduate and Post graduate level .Always Academically orientated .And , as I do work for <> .I also do work as a Translator and Interpreter .Fro Greek/cypriot and French clients of the NHS .Despite the fact that I have worked with many clients , as grouped together , so far .My question is :How can I work more as a Tutor .But also I would like to ask whether other alternatives do exist .LIke fro example , as I am in my final year of my French Studies Degree .It is quite likely , that I would be continuing my English Degree .After September coming !
    However as I do need more financial income coming into my house .Or , what I am trying to express here is , how can I become more approachable ,how can I persuade the tutee and his/her parents to select and favour me ?(As soon as they come up with a tutor request like for example .)Plus , also how can I work more hours in the public or private sector .Whilst giving lessons to students .(Privately or at school) .Also how can I be more successful with Primary, Secondary and Further Education ?And , also give me the opportunity to give lessons in Greek(Modern) ,French (All levels ) ,English may be as a foreign language , too ?
    I am at this stage looking at all of my options .And , I do bare in mind that a Graduates' Jobs fair is bound to take place , in Manchester .However I would also like to ask for an advice from any one who knows more about the Academic /Educational Sector .And , let me know more about other optional choices that I could potentially and Financially benefit a lot from it .Plus I will be graduating this October 2012 .But , I also still have my 2 full time Academic years at Undergraduate level .In BA(Honours) for French Studies and Linguistics ! I am also trying to succeed with my Modern Greek Studies .Presumably with Greece ..!!
    I would love to hear from someone who shares the same concerns and experience .

Thank you
    Miss Rebecca M .Alexopoulou .

3. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

If you want to avoid Tutoring sites that charge commission (which I am pretty sure is illegal), then I can recommend First Tutors and Tutorhunt.

4. Tutor Hunt does charge fees - from the parents. It is &pound;25.00 for each contact. One of my present clients found me on there first, but was asked for the fee before they knew whether I was available for the times they had. They subsequently found me through another source.
    There are other online agencies that charge but split the fees; some from the parent and some from the tutor. I use one called UK Tutors, which I find very good. The average Tutor fee for a contact is &pound;10, payable only after the agreement is confirmed on both sides, and after 4 weeks. They will set up a request on your page and give you a 'payment by' date.I am registered on another site that is free, but I get 80% of my referrals through UK Tutors. I am very happy with their service.

5. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

The illegal bit is charging the tutor a fee (classed as commission). First Tutors and Tutor hunt both work properly i.e. by charging only the parents. UK Tutors uses an unusual technique of charging the tutor a fee which should then be claimed back from the parents (who have already paid another fee). In reality, I expect many tutors just bite the bullet and don't bother reclaiming it as it is small in comparison with the earnings. My post was in response to the previous poster, whose site appears to be charging tutors commission per hour.

6. Hi Rebecca

I registered with www.LessonPark.com and this gave me an understanding of how much to charge and also put me in contact with lots of students (many of whom i still teach). I am a full-time private tutor and think it's important to register with as many sites as possible to maximise your marketability. They also have a rating system so that the better teachers do better.

good luck

Tom