1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I explain this in a positive way in my app ?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by R13, Jun 26, 2011.

1. R13

R13 New commenter

Hi
    I don't mean this in a critical way but no it will sound harsh - so why do you think being a Deputy is something yyou can excel at. As I say I'm not having a dig - I would want you to explain to me why you think you could be a brilliant Deputy, because that's what I'd want. Please consider you've just described yourself as someone who has run out of energy and patience with staff who are resistant to change . . . . .I'd want a Deputy with energy and patience and ability to effect change.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It's all a tap dance of words in my opinion - and I admire your honestly. It takes guts to admit 'I've failed' at something and have the willingness to go back to deputy to perhaps relearn and re energise oneself. There is no shame in trying again in another place as schools as are individual as people are in nature, form and content. There are, after all, plenty of people in our schools who still boldly plod on thinking that either they are fab at what they do, or simply don't care enough to reflect and self evaluate.

3. Is it worth hanging on in there a bit longer? For the kids really and as people settle down after a bit and you become part of the place. You may just have picked a resistant school and another may be just right?You could apply 2-3 years in when you've got some things achieved. You have achieved a great deal to get this far and the first year can be tough. Deputy headship may be no better in a way as you have been used to being in charge now. What are the main staff issues? If you can list pros and cons then keeping positives on mind, tackle the issues in manageable steps.

4. Kenny9

Kenny9 New commenter

Staff are very resistance to change, it's well known in the county as a school with problematic staff. No one told me.
    I'm still fairly young for a head 34 and perhaps this opportunity came a little early in my career. I've been at 3 other schools and always been very successful. I'm not sure an experienced head could get anything out of this bunch of teachers.
    I'm sure everyone has made a mistake and picked the wrong school ? I could spend the next 6 years here and wait for people to retire but sometimes you just need to move on.
    ...can anyone help with the original question ?

5. Perhaps just write the letter as if you were applying for your first DH post with great enthusiasm and fill it with all the successes you have had, examples of impact etc. Get some good references and ask if referees won't mind giving you the references to send with the letter (bit cheeky but might as well push your case in a competitive market). I would certainly meet the Head in question as first impressions mean alot before applying, don't say anything about what you do unless they ask and just see if you have any common ground/interests/ humour in common. You want one with some experience who won't find your experience potentially threatening or undermining. What you don't want is to go to a school with a weak Head. You might add a separate letter to explain that you are currently a Head teacher and have gained a great deal from this experience but feel the school you are applying for has more for you eg larger staff, place where you feelmyou could contuniue to pursue your interest in..., a chance to return to the classroom or whatever. Try and be upbeat. It is awful when the staff are hard to shift, great when they come round and a few leave if they can't move forward but life is too short I agree and good for you!

6. I recently shortlisted a 'Associate Head' (a head but under the supervision of an Executive Head in a federation) for a non-class based DHT job at my large Primary school.

The way I saw it, I wanted someone who could do a lot of the Strategic work with me (as well as work alongside staff and children) so someone who was already in the position was perfect.

The fact you're quite young (I'm only 36 and on my second headship) would suggest to me that you've just not found a school that fits. Do you have a coach and/or mentor? The LA provided me with both for both headships and this support network is really useful.

See the prospective HT in person, explain yourself honestly - drawing on your achievements and successes as DHT and I don't see it as a problem. Better that than your school getting into difficulty and then being forced out - which is career death for HT. That said, it's the wrong end of the year to make any big decisions - everyone (the HT included) is tired and crabby) - take the summer holidays to think about it. Perhaps you just need more support from LA or other HTs?