1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I expand my tuition business?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by geek84, Sep 23, 2011.

1. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi barnaclebrain
    Many thanks for your reply.
    Could you tell me the name of the text books which you used to gain information regarding setting up this business?
    Many Thanks

2. barnaclebrain

barnaclebrain New commenter

This is one of the books, but it is 4 years old now, so you might want something more up to date:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Start-Your-Home-Tutoring-Business/dp/1845281780/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316810745&sr=1-2

Perhaps you could look at: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tutoring-Matters-Everything-Always-Wanted/dp/1439907412/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316811007&sr=1-7

Go to the library if you can and have a browse.

3. Hi Geek84,
    There's information on our website about promoting yourself as a tutor, also have a look at our TES resources for some articles on the subject.
    Writing an e-book is a great way to improve your rankings in search engines if you set up a website.
    We are also due to publish a free e-book 'Tutoring: The Essential Guide' which I think would cover most of the information that you're looking for. It's not available to download yet but if you drop me a private message with your email address I'd be happy to send you a preview copy.
    Regards,
    Jamie.

4. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Jamie
    Many thanks indeed for your reply.
    This may sound like a silly question, but how do I send a private message?
    Thanks

5. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Jamie
    Many thanks for your reply.
    I am definitely interested in your e-book, and would be most grateful if you could send me a preview copy.
    Regarding my idea of writing an e-book, how long do you think it would take me? I am not very good at English Grammar, would that be a major problem?
    Thanks

6. Hi Geek84,
    If you click on TheTutorWebsite name from this post you will be taken to our profile page. On the profile page, there is an option to send a message to the user. All I need is your email address to send it to you.
    Alternatively, you can email me at enquiries@thetutorwebsite.co.uk and I'll send you a preview copy.
    I suppose it depends on how many pages your e-book will have. Assuming that you already have all the knowledge about your subject, I don't imagine it would take too long to put your thoughts down in text.
    In order to give your e-book added credibility, I'd quote the sources that you have used and give quotes/examples to show that your information is relevent.
    In terms of grammar, I think it's important that your book reads well and is grammatically correct throughout. If you're unsure about any grammar points yourself, you could have someone proof-read your book for you. There are many professional proofreaders who can do this at a price but I'd suggest having a friend look over it - someone who has a good eye for detail, in order to iron out any creases.
    Feel free to take ideas from my e-book in regards to layout and presentation.
    When your e-book is finished, if you're giving it out for free, there are several websites that you can submit your book to - just do a google search for 'free e-books' and the best sites should generally show first. You can also submit the book to TES Connect - I'm sure there are lots of users who would make use of your materials.
    If you're planning on writing the book for publication with the scope of selling it, I know that you can publish e-books on Amazon but I'm not sure how it all works - I'm afraid I've only written them for free download.
    If your content is informative and relevent, people will be interested in visiting your website via reading the e-book and this would increase the likelihood of potential students contacting you for private lessons. Alongside some Search Engine Optimization, this could help expand your tutoring business.
    I'd also like to add that these things do take time but if you're happy to put in the initial effort I'm sure it will pay off in the long term.
    I hope this has been useful.
    All the best,
    Jamie

7. Jamie

You have a good website but you have a vague address and no landline number. Your website mentions that other "dodgy" websites do this and then you have gone and done it yourself. I think you have a good business idea but would advise that in order to gain credibility with genuine tutors you put a full contact address down and a landline number. Good luck.

8. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Good Morning Folks

Another way that I thought of which could increase the number of students that I teach, is to stand outside schools and distribute leaflets advertising my services, to students who are coming out of the school building at 'home time'.
    Do you think this is a good idea? Are there any laws against doing this? Do I have to get permission from the school or local authority to do this?
    Thanks in advance

9. I don't know about the legality.. but parents or teachers might be a bit suspicious of an unknown adult trying to make contact with students! Also, you probably ideally want to contact the parents, not the students... (the students may not want to admit to needing tutoring.. and chances of your information reaching the parents is limited)... On the other hand, if you are going for primary, it might be a good idea to go early and hand leaflets to parents waiting at the gate...
    On the other (third!) hand, contacting the Head of Maths (by letter or email) in relevant schools would mean that if parents ask about tutors, the school could pass your name on...
    Or see if the school office have any suggestions... maybe their school newsletter allows adverts? or they might have a mechanism to hand out information about holiday activities at the end of term..and could distribute your information in a similar way?
    Hope some of this helps?
    Liz