1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I be more organised?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by marymjn, Mar 6, 2011.

1. marymjn

marymjn New commenter

I've recently started my NQT year in a good school. I worked there as a cover supervisor for a year before being given the role.
    I started off really well but as time passes I'm finding that things are really getting on top of me. I feel totally disorganised and am constantly rushing and working really late into the night to meet deadlines. Does anyone have any tips to help me organise myself so I don't head into a nervous break down?! Or am I being too optimistic - is this just something I should expect from my NQT year?
    My department is really supportive on the whole, but often I find that because I've worked at the school for a year already they assume a bit too much of me - eg not telling me about departmental deadlines that aren't in the school diary which leaves me way behind and not properly prepared for them. I'm really consciencous and a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to work and I constantly feel on the back foot and it is destroying my confidence.
    Please help!

2. marymjn

marymjn New commenter

I've recently started my NQT year in a good school. I worked there as a cover supervisor for a year before being given the role.
    I started off really well but as time passes I'm finding that things are really getting on top of me. I feel totally disorganised and am constantly rushing and working really late into the night to meet deadlines. Does anyone have any tips to help me organise myself so I don't head into a nervous break down?! Or am I being too optimistic - is this just something I should expect from my NQT year?
    My department is really supportive on the whole, but often I find that because I've worked at the school for a year already they assume a bit too much of me - eg not telling me about departmental deadlines that aren't in the school diary which leaves me way behind and not properly prepared for them. I'm really consciencous and a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to work and I constantly feel on the back foot and it is destroying my confidence.
    Please help!

3. I find the best way to do things and stay on top of them is to approach them straight away. If I am handed a piece of paper to fill in I do it straight away. I do my marking as soon as I can, often through breaks to get some out of the way.
    Lists that I prioritise are a must. CQ suggested over on personal that she uses post it notes to make her to do lists and moves them around to prioritise. I had a go at this and found it really useful (plus it was satisfying throwing the little post its away when tasks were finished!).