1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can an Art Teacher move into DT?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by hayleysimms, Apr 11, 2018.

1. hayleysimms

hayleysimms New commenter

Hello All,

I would like to know how an Art Teacher can move in teaching Design Technology as Iv seen a couple of jobs with this title being posted on TES.

I am also a practising graphic designer and I have full understanding of the graphic design and UX industry.

Hope someone can read this and advice me how to branch out.

Many thanks,
    Hayley.

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Are you currently in post as an art teacher or looking to apply? If you are in post, you might have a conversation with your line manager about wanting to widen your experience. Do you feel confident about teaching all or some aspects of DT? How would you convince someone to employ you without relevant experience? It sounds like you have some relevant skills and experience - just depends if this fits with what a school is looking for. You might be appealing to schools as you can offer art too.

muso2 and hayleysimms like this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

In school: ask about the possibility of having some DT in your timetable next year. Might not be possible, if they need all your time in art, but if you let them know you're interested then they can look at whether it fits.
    Do the DT department run any lunchtime/after-school sessions (revision? coursework catchup time?)? I'm sure they'd welcome help, and that would help you familiarise yourself with the syllabus.

Advertised jobs: you can always put in applications and see what happens. Watch out for any advertised as "full or part-time" - it may be that they only need half a timetable of DT, and maybe there's scope for a a DT/art timetable. Ditto if you see any adverts for part-time in either DT or art. There must be a lot of schools where the number of teachers needed for each subject is not a whole number.

If currently not in post: tell supply agencies you're interested in making the switch, and they may be able to put some DT supply your way. It may also be worth some on-spec letters to local schools, letting them know you'd be interested in a mix of art/DT. If an existing teacher puts in a part-time application, a frequent concern is recruiting someone to cover the other days - if they know you'd be interested in a mix of art/DT, it gives them another option to consider.

Lara mfl 05, hayleysimms and muso2 like this.
  4. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

As above, and also look out for schools where Art and DT are in the same faculty. In that situation, you might get to teach more DT, or sometimes staff teach a number of subjects on a rotation to ks3, which would give you more experience.

hayleysimms likes this.
  5. hayleysimms

hayleysimms New commenter

Yes, these are both very helpful responses. Also there are some aspects of DT I would be nervous about taking such as woodwork, electronics and plastics, although anything using digital graphics, product design and textiles would be something I would be very confident in teaching. Letters to local schools and looking at part-time posts will be something I will look at. Thanks again for the advice. HS