1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

How can a supply teacher pay into the Teachers Pension?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by bobbycatrules, Dec 16, 2015.

  1. bobbycatrules

    bobbycatrules New commenter

    I'm returning to supply teaching after 3 years in a permanent post. The agencies I will work for do not pay into the official Teachers Pension Scheme. Is it possible to set up payments into my TPS independently of the agency?

    Also, my husband has a permanent job. Is it possible for us to get a mortgage with me working on supply?

    Thanks for your replies.
  2. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    Since the whole point of TPS is that the employer pays in a hefty whack, I think not. But you should enquire directly of TPS

    As for your second question, only the Building Society can answer that. And different ones may have a different answer.

    Good luck with the househunting!

    Best wishes

  3. bobbycatrules

    bobbycatrules New commenter

    Thank you Theo.
  4. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    (Missing thumbs up emoticon)

  5. Skeoch

    Skeoch Star commenter

    Q2: Consider using a mortgage broker?
  6. applecrumblebumble

    applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

    Not so sure about TPS contribution but I would agree with TheoGriff, maybe an expensive option. The mortgage issue is a tricky one because you are not in permanent employment and no way of any kind of guaranteed amount of earnings. I suspect the mortgage will be based on your husband's earnings.
  7. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    I am not an expert, but I believe that any employer now has to pay a contribution towards you pension. Whether this can go into TPS is another matter - as others have said, speak to TPS directly. I found this link https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/employers/employer-faqs/auto-enrolment.aspx . But it does not mention (at a quick first read) the issue of agency employed supply, so it is not clear whether they actually have to pay into TPS for you. I hope that TPS could clarify this for you. And ask the agencies how they carry out their pensions obligations if it turns out that they don't have pay into TPS.
  8. bobbycatrules

    bobbycatrules New commenter

    Thanks for the replies. Theo was indeed correct. The TPS told me today that I cannot contribute money myself.

    Regarding a mortgage, a broker is good idea. Theo has given me hope as I thought the flat answer would be 'no way'. A mortgage based only on my husband's earnings would not buy us anything.
  9. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    re Mortgage, I agree with the advice to use a mortgage broker. Different lenders take different views. I don't want to be a wet blanket on your mortgage hopes, but be prepared to be told that they won't take supply earnings into account until you've done it for at least 12 months, probably longer. Where applicants have fluctuating income, whether employed or self-employed, lenders usually want to see a reasonable track record of what you've earned at it over several years before taking it into account.

Share This Page