1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How busy will I be over the Christmas hols?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by SM_BSc, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Hopefully starting a secondary PGCE in September. For xmas we have 2 weeks hols but just wanting to know how much work there is to do over these 2 weeks? As I'm planning a weekend away with friends.

2. Hi all,
    Hopefully starting a secondary PGCE in September. For xmas we have 2 weeks hols but just wanting to know how much work there is to do over these 2 weeks? As I'm planning a weekend away with friends.

3. It probably depends on your uni and placement school, but if you work your socks off up until the holiday and have completed everything that needs completing then I think a weekend away will be a good reward!

4. You will be shattered and need a break. I worked through Christmas and became very ill at Easter.
    Good luck!

5. If your course is anything like ours was, at christmas you will be in between placements. Which makes it hard to prepare anything for the next school. You may have an assignment to complete but it also may be due in before the end of term. So unless there's essays to do, I really don't think there is much work for you to do. Unless you want to reorganise folders or something.
    I would strongly advise taking some time off to spend with your friends, especially if it's just a weekend! Word of warning though, most people are ill leading up to xmas. Either you'll be ill during term time, as a lot of people on my course were, or you'll be ill over xmas/new year (which I was - missed new year's eve because I was ill).

6. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

It very much depends on your course. I was starting my second school placement directly after Christmas, so Christmas was very busy for me. However, you might have just finished a placement and be on a university respite in January.
    However, if its just a weekend I would be very worried if you couldn't find time for it, no matter how busy you are!

7. Go away and have fun! We had some work on an essay to do, but I chilled out over my PGCE's xmas in a serious way!