1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How books are chosen for a Primary School

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ghaj28, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Just a quick question as to how books are chosen in a Primary School. I'm currently and under-grad hoping to start my PGCE next year in Primary teaching. Recently I was introduced to a publisher/writer who creates story books for children in lower years, and these have a focus on myths and legends from South Asia. It seems however he's stumped as to how he can introduce these books into the school system. How are books chosen and is there any sort of managing body who decides as to what can be used in schools? Please help!

2. Hi all,
    Just a quick question as to how books are chosen in a Primary School. I'm currently and under-grad hoping to start my PGCE next year in Primary teaching. Recently I was introduced to a publisher/writer who creates story books for children in lower years, and these have a focus on myths and legends from South Asia. It seems however he's stumped as to how he can introduce these books into the school system. How are books chosen and is there any sort of managing body who decides as to what can be used in schools? Please help!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The teacher decides on the books they use (as often they are buying it themselves) there is no managing body.

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

In my experience it has always been up to the teachers themselves. There are loads of lists around which teachers can use to help them make decisions about which book is best for a particular focus, but ultimately down to the teacher.
    Carrie [​IMG]

5. Hmm, this clears a lot up. Now to somehow help him spread the word about his books! They're quite interesting and helpful in showing cultures in the world, a helpful resource for those teaching children in earlier years. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!