1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How big is UML with GCSE Computing syllabuses?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by theworm123, Feb 27, 2020.

1. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

The thread title sums up my questions completely. UML 2.0 can be a pain at the best of times and I've got some down time coming up. Do the syllabuses cover much UML if any at all? Sequence, Machine State, Use Case diagrams or Jackson Structure diagrams etc.

If the demand is there I may produce some useful free tutorial handouts for them, my Matrix addition and subtraction handouts still receive frequent downloads even now.

2. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

Not needed, I asked the exam board a few years ago if I could use UML within course work for use cases etc. I was told yes, but that if I didn't stick to the prescribed narrative(the way they ask for it) then it would fail

theworm123 likes this.
  3. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

Thanks, strange that they said that.

For all the useless rubbish they have on their syllabuses like image compression, they lack one of the most used elements of software engineering.

Any company which employs programmers will want them to be able to produce something as basic as a class diagram or ERD.

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

UML, class diagrams and erd are all used extensively at A level and IB-CS level. Not in GCSE.

theworm123 likes this.