1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How big are seatbelts on Ryanair?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mongus, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Mr Mongus is wavering about going on a long break to Poland and Berlin because he is concerned he will not get into the seats on the flight. He is about 21 stone and XXXl ~( measurements equate to a size 26 for women is the best way I can describe it.) Please do not be insensitive with your replies as you have no idea of his medical history.
    What I wondered is if he will fit in the seats? He does not want to be embarrassed with the group of friends we are travelling with. I have rung Ryanair several times but it is almost impossible to get a sensible answer. They keep saying just to book another seat but again, budget is an issue.
    I would genuinely appreciate any comments would help to clarify the situation.
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. Mr Mongus is wavering about going on a long break to Poland and Berlin because he is concerned he will not get into the seats on the flight. He is about 21 stone and XXXl ~( measurements equate to a size 26 for women is the best way I can describe it.) Please do not be insensitive with your replies as you have no idea of his medical history.
    What I wondered is if he will fit in the seats? He does not want to be embarrassed with the group of friends we are travelling with. I have rung Ryanair several times but it is almost impossible to get a sensible answer. They keep saying just to book another seat but again, budget is an issue.
    I would genuinely appreciate any comments would help to clarify the situation.
    Thanks in anticipation.

3. i have a close friend who is also rather large, couldn't your OH just fix the belt under his belly like my friend does and then take up a bit of your seat if he needs it? please encourage him, it's horrible to let these sorts of issues to get in the way of having a good time!

good luck xxx

4. Ask for a seatbelt extension as you get on. If you are willing to suffer with him, hope that you can raise the armrest

5. all airlines carry extension belts which buckle into the belts fixed on seats - width of the seat is likely to be the main comfort issue but if you are next to him, I'm sure you can snuggle

Enjoy the holiday

6. My OH is 20 stone and has no problems. Certainly has never had to book another seat. But he is mostly muscle, so I suppose it is not the weight issue but the shape you are meaning?

7. Absolutely. Does anybody know how I could find out the dimensions of the seat width and seatbelt length? He said I was not to mention it in case somebody from his school recognised him but actually he has been asked to go with a school party of year 11's and so it is even more imperative that he feels he will not be humiliated. He is a wonderful and kind man and it will be very difficult for the party to go if he is unable to support them but I can see his point that he does not want to make a fool of himself in front of the kids.
    Thank for your replies so far btw.

8. They will almost definitely have belt extensions.

If I were you, I would prebook a seat, front row, ailse seat. You may have to pay a wee bit extra unless (and this is where pride may come into it) you wangle it as a "disability case" as the front row is generally kept free for such cases until the last minute.

I have often requested the front row when my kids were smaller so that I had room for toys, nappy bag etc and did not have to pay extra.

Not sure if Ryan air still does the "first come first served" seating allocation but I have flown often with budget airlines who did and still requested my seats in advance and got them.

9. Would they still be able to sit him near the kids from school though?

10. Well, if they are travelling as a group, I would mention it anyway when booking.

11. snowboarder

snowboarder New commenter

A standard airline seat is 17.2 inches wide I would think that Ryan Air would use standard seats. I think the seat pitch (leg room) on ryan air is 30 inches.

12. snowboarder

snowboarder New commenter

p.s maximum seatbelt length is 47 inches.

13. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

is mr mongus's first name hugh?

14. I know it's wrong to laugh, but you are quite funny HBF.

15. No. Do you know how to use capital letters?

16. That was not nice HBF.

17. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

18. I gained a lot of weight a couple of years ago due to illness, a lot of which I have lost during the last 6 months. Last time I flew I was a size 26 (49 inch hips and 42 inch waist) and the seat belt did fit fine but if I'd had another couple of inches on my hips I may have needed an extension. I am very tall and leg room was fine - we didn't pay for extra. Seat width was standard as we flew XL which is a basic airline. Ryanair, being budget, will all be standard and they will scrimp as far as they can on space, so I imagine it will be standard 17 inch width.

Measure his waist and hips. If his waist/hips are bigger than I mentioned then I imagine he may need an extension, but you can ask quietly as you board - they are quite good about that. One other thing is they will not allow you to have the arm rest up until you're cruising - it has to be down at all other times. On the way out we asked for seats together but we ended up across the aisle from each other. I was on the aisle end, there was a skinny middle-aged woman in the middle and her very big husband on the window side (he did need an extension). Poor woman sandwiched between us two! I would say ask for an aisle seat if you can because the window seat is not as comfortable for people with big bums!

19. Teehee, just think it's quite ironic we flew XL airlines since I was pretty XL myself at the time ;o)

20. I really appreciate that Flufy- thank you.