1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How bad is it to get a job in a different field?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by cashmygold, Apr 27, 2011.

1. I don't think it's bad. needs must. Its understandable that you may need to work outside of teaching to keep a float due to the current climate. Don't stress. If you get a manual/ semi-skilled job, then it hopefully won't be too taxing and you'll be able to devote some time to your job search.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Get on the book some some Temp admin recruitment agencies and just keep the hunt going. The 16 months supply worried me too but alot of people have found jobs this way.
    As I have had a part time post I've avoided it as I couldn't have taken induction (if a term came up) because of this, however if you intend to teach I think supply is worth a shot ASAP in Sept. Theres still time for jobs to come up for September don't lose hope yet but do try and find summer work! x

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I'd say you should certainly look for work in anything but teaching.
    If you start supply in June you might only get one or two days work and that will start the clock ticking on the maximum supply work you can do before getting your NQT induction sorted.
    Now, as you have a NQT job to go to that shouldn't be a problem, but there's always a possiblity your NQT job might not work out (you might hate the school, the school might be forced to have redundancies, who knows what the future brings?), you'll then have only a very limited time left where you can do supply.
    My advice is therefore to do all you can to delay the time that clock starts. Get the sort of summer work you used to get as a student!