1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how bad does it look to drop from tlr holder to classroom teacher?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by eltalia, Mar 5, 2011.

1. My tlr has just been deleted by new structure - I went for 2nd in dept interview and lost it to someone with only 18months experience teaching - feeling like shnutzel now obviously! I've always had good and outstanding observations and PM always been perfect. On maternity leave at the moment and now looking for other jobs for september. Can't face the thought of going back to my school - feel like everyone will think I MUST be rubbish at my job to lose to who I did (Can I point out I'm actually very good and have never had any indication from PM that there's ever ever been a problem and my gcse/ks3 results have always been amongst the best in dept). If I go for a classroom teacher job elsewhere due to there being no tlr jobs on offer, a) will I be overlooked in favour of a cheaper NQT and b) will it adversely affect my career path?

Really struggling with this internal battle so any help appreciated! My HoD also has said they want me to stay, I have loads to offer the department, I never know what may come up soon etc etc etc - not that it helps much with the general feeling of dented pride and humiliation.

2. My tlr has just been deleted by new structure - I went for 2nd in dept interview and lost it to someone with only 18months experience teaching - feeling like shnutzel now obviously! I've always had good and outstanding observations and PM always been perfect. On maternity leave at the moment and now looking for other jobs for september. Can't face the thought of going back to my school - feel like everyone will think I MUST be rubbish at my job to lose to who I did (Can I point out I'm actually very good and have never had any indication from PM that there's ever ever been a problem and my gcse/ks3 results have always been amongst the best in dept). If I go for a classroom teacher job elsewhere due to there being no tlr jobs on offer, a) will I be overlooked in favour of a cheaper NQT and b) will it adversely affect my career path?

Really struggling with this internal battle so any help appreciated! My HoD also has said they want me to stay, I have loads to offer the department, I never know what may come up soon etc etc etc - not that it helps much with the general feeling of dented pride and humiliation.

3. Could the fact that you are on matenrity leave, and the HT may think likely to do so again in the future years, have somehting to do with you no longer being a part of the new strcuture???

Consider this befiore quitting...

4. I'm sure it could, yes, although that's hugely unfair as I fully intend to go back full time and have never given anyone any pause for thought in terms of my work. I am aware though, that even though they're not allowed to discriminate due to Mat leave or pregnancy, they invariably do. I just can't stomach the thought of going back to that school - I feel so unappreciated and, I know this sounds a bit daft, totally worthless. I hate the fact that I'm doubting myself and my capabilities.

5. Oh, these generalisations!

6. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

Perhaps you should hang around - it won't be easy for someone with so little experience to undertake this role effectively.
    I know that I would feel exactly as you do and would be looking elsewhere. However (and it's easy to say this as an outsider) your HoD has said they want you to stay and is right- you never do know what's coming up in the future. At least you are in a school where, even if they don't show their appreciation, they know your worth. Being the newbie in another school - and possibly having less experienced people in roles of responsibility there too - you might be aking a step backwards.
    It's unfair and hard to take, but HTs will be considering the fact that you have a young child to care for. You're probably better off stickin it out where you are and showing them that their concerns have been misplaced.
    Hope it works out for you whatever you decide.

7. Quick question - what role did you have before - with the TLR - that was lost in restructure and now you were not offered but was given - are they comparable? Have you asked for feedback why this was?

8. Hi,
    I am sure you are feeling pretty rubbish now :-(
    But maybe hang on a while....I have no doubt you are good at your job, but maybe as some have suggested, the Mat leave thing may have come into play (even though it shouldn't).
    You don't say if this is your first baby, but why don't you give the 'normal' teaching a shot back at school first? When you first go back, surely you will have other things on your mind, rather than doing loads of paperwork and dealing with the added responsibility? I am not suggesting you couldn't do it, but when your baby has chickenpox/D and V/won't sleep/is teething, maybe all you will want is to get through the day and go home to your family, rather than juggling everything.
    If you decide you do want the extra responsibility, then apply elsewhere after a couple of terms? Then you can big up or play down the old TLR depending on the job you go for. It doesn't have to affect your career adversely.
    Good Luck!

9. I was a Key Stage co-ordinator and went for 2nd - logical next step I thought. Due to speak to Head this week as there are a few kinks I need to iron out - build up of things before the interview that already led me to believe he may be trying to cut me loose as a financial thing - I'm due to go through threshold this year and so if I leave they can replace me with an NQT and save money.

10. Emids - it's my second baby (although my first is 6) and I've always worked full time/held a tlr whilst having a child. I hear what you're saying and I'm sure I'll love having no responsibility - I'm just so angry with them because I feel like they've disregarded everything I've done at the school - the fact that I had to have the interview during my maternity leave irks me - nothing worse than trying to urge your brain into gear and answer 'leadership and management' questions intelligently and coherently when sleepng patterns and nappies ahve filled your day for the past 5 months!
    Glad to know that it's not the end of my career though - that's my main concern, aside from the loss of face!

11. If the TLR post you previously held is deleted and the nearest equivalent was an academic department post rather than a more 'pastoral' post then I would try not to get too wound up by the newer teacher being offered the position instead of you.
    Do you want to change schools? If so then I don't think it really matters that you've previously held a TLR so long as you ensure you make clear the skills and experience you've gained from this. If you've not yet gone through threshold then you'll be cheaper than a teacher who has and it's possible that there are schools out there who want strong, experienced teachers to be exactly that without having to take on additional responsibility!
    If your only reason for considering a change of school is because of your perceived loss of face then you are being overly emotional about it. You haven't 'lost' the 2nd in department job to the newer teacher because it was never your job to begin with (although I do appreciate that it may feel like you have given the deletion of your TLR). S/he has different skills and will bring different things to the role; the school have chosen him/her for this position on this occasion.
    Keep looking at possibilities for September but don't burn your bridges with your current school. If you end up back at 'your' school avoid the temptation to prop up the new 2nd in department (whilst also ensuring you are supportive and grown-up about it!) and enjoy the additional time being a classroom teacher will bring you (in theory).

12. GTP-er - my post that was deleted was an academic post also, not a pastoral one; a lot of the responsibilities were the same as the 2nd in dept post and the person who got it has been doing my tlr whilst i've been off so far, so her experiences at a leadership level are the same as mine, only fewer (if that even makes sense!)
    i won't burn my bridges - too much responsibility in terms of financial stability for my family. Cheers for advice

13. I'm confused a little that no-one has pointed out that you shouldn't be losing the TLR anyway! You left on Mat Leave and are fully entitled to return to work at the level you exited. Had you resigned and were trying to get another job entirely then the loss of the TLR would be by the by, the point is you haven't done this. You are being discriminated against and I strongly advise you to get your union involved. If your TLR has been swallowed up by a) a new structure and b) a new member of staff that's not your concern, but the concern of your HT. Whether your HT is trying to get rid of you or not they cannot force you out by stripping you of all responsibilities and increments you have built up whilst on Mat Leave. It is of no concern to anyone but you and your partner how many children you have and how far apart and if it were employers would not employ women or women would only have one child as early or late as they possibly could in their careers. I hope you can get it sorted out and you should not have to be dealing with any of this on Mat Leave, unless they are paying you for KIT days to attend the interviews etc. Get your union involved, if for nothing else other than to set the precedent, you and no other woman should be discriminated against for mat leave.

14. Clarys - apparently my pay is safe guarded for three years but actually isn't as I go through threshold so my tlr is sucked up by the movement up the pay scale. I am however querying the fact that my current job description matches the new role almost word for word so I think they were supposed to ring fence it for me and the other KS co-ordinator whose tlr was also deleted (interestingly, she's also on mat leave at the mo...)

15. I have just dropped Deputy Head of Faculty (maths TLR) and taken a non TLR role in a better school. I got the first job I applied for. I simply told the truth....

I wanted to focus on becoming a excellent classroom teacher and did not enjoy my management role. The pay cut will be hard, but I am not worried about my future career.

Good luck.

:)

16. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

OP,
    Try not to consider it as a lost TLR. Think of it as extra time and energy for you and your children.

17. One thing to bare in mind: if you quit within 13 weeks of your return to work date, you will be liable to pay back all of your occ mat pay, which on your salary should be quite a chunk!

18. Speaking as someone who has spent the last decade going down the "greasy pole" I echo this post. If your self esteem and value as a human being is wrapped up in the size of your TLR then it is not good.
    In my first year in teaching in 1979 an old teacher said to me that you can always earn more money but you can't earn more time. It was true then it is certainly true now.