1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are your daffodillies doing?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Tonight is apparently the mildest December night we've had for several decades and temperatures look set to continue to be mild. I wouldn't waste your money betting on a white Christmas, if I were you.

Here in Hampshire I see the daffodils have begun sprouting out of the grass and when I noticed there was blossom on the path and wondered where it was coming from, I traced it to what I think is probably a flowering cherry tree that has decided to try to bloom before its leaves have formed. If it is a flowering cherry tree, I'll ask the gardener to hammer some copper nails in it, since I don't wish to suffer the mess they make again. Some idiot in the council had one of the roads in Rochester lined with hundreds of the damn things. They looked pretty for one week of the year, then for the next three weeks of that month as they shed their petals onto the parked cars and garden pathways, they caused such consternation among the residents that eventually the council needed to dig them all up to appease its taxpayers. There was one in the garden of the last house I lived in that shed its petals all over the patio, such that letting the dog out for a wee, resulted in the living room carpet needing to be hoovered on her return.

Anyway, I digress...

Will we have flowers in the spring, or will they all be over by then? Might we anticipate even larger sprouts with our Christmas dinners next year? Can we anticipate the time will come when they do away with winter altogether, since there will be little other than darkness to discern it from the other three seasons?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I heard it was 'since before records began'.

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Yesterday I picked the last of the alpine strawberries, and a handful of raspberries. The daffodillies are poking their heads up through the soil, and there are slugs out and about.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No sign of flowering daffodils in the orchard as yet, but certainly year on year they get earlier and earlier and are usually all finished by Easter;we used to take loads of bunches to church to share on Easter Sunday but only when there has been an early easter have we been able to do that recently.
    Primroses are flowering but no real signs of most of the 'real' Spring bulbs, snowdrops yet.

We did eat the last of our home-grown (greenhouse) tomatoes and courgettes yesterday though.

5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I've got some bulbs beginning to come up but my most curious warm weather garden event is my nastusrtium. It must have self seeded near the end of the season and is still flowering happily. The curious thing is that it has trailed a span of 16 foot! I've never seen one so big.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I have my early daffs out but also primroses! More surprising are the purple honesty flowers and ladybirds on the leaves.

7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

They aren't ladybirds. They're Father Christmas's little helpers.

Lara mfl 05, emerald52 and RedQuilt like this.
  8. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I've seen quite a few bumblebees buzzing around and 'my' hedgehog is still pottering in the gardens.
    When my gardener came to give me a Christmas card the other day he made a serious suggestion about coming to give the lawns a high cut.
    It feels very unseasonable.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

My garden is looking very bare. :(
    But that's because it's the first year and it's a work in progress.

We don't have any daffs and the tulips in tubs aren't showing, but I've seen loads of shoots poking through around the neighbourhood.

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

It's nearly spring -there will be lambs in the fields in about 6 weeks around here!

11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I don't know about daffodils but I am still picking chillis from one plant I grew this year.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

On Friday I took advantage of the unseasonal temperatures to buy some daffodil bulbs at knock-down prices and plant them around the borders of my workplace, which re-opens in the Spring. It'll be interesting to see when they appear.