1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are your Christmas preparations going?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Over_the_hill, Dec 8, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Beechams Powders are excellent

Don't touch Night Nurse

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Our faithful little artificial tree is up.

Sadly our daughter is now no longer around to decorate it as she used to love to do.

I just want to get this week over - it's going to be a very long one.

3. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I thought if I took it about 7pm I might get a few hours of sleep without coughing?

Jamvic likes this.
  4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Me and him indoors are on fire! No, not the wrong thread - we've mended the vine arbour thing, moved the hens, mended the pew, mended the cuckoo clock, emptied the old filing cabinet (anyone round our way want a nice two drawer filing cabinet surplus to requirements free to a good home?), I'm doing my Christmas cards and I've baked two birthday cakes. I hope there's a bottle of something nice and white chilling in the fridge. Feeling very smug!

5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

That’s interesting. Why do you advise that? Is there something in it that should be avoided?

I ask because I’ve always used Beechams Powders when unwell from being young through to the last couple of years. They were the only thing that ever helped relieve cold symptoms throughout the day but always initiated an excessively runny nose. So all my life I’ve put up with a red, very sore nose whenever I’ve had a bad cold.

Then the last couple of years, on a whim, I tried a combination of day and night nurse instead and was amazed to find they relieved symptoms and didn’t make me all snivelled & snotty. I didn’t have to live with the Rudolph look for the first time ever. The night nurse also meant I wasn’t waking up every two hours too.

Hope I’m not going to find out now that there’s some horrendous ingredient in it that I need to avoid.

smoothnewt and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Something I learnt early in life, is that if you own the right tool to do a job with, you will be unlikely to be called on to use it. When people asked me what I would like for Christmas in the years after I bought my first home, I invariably asked for tools that might be useful and consequently saved myself an immense amount of work, since the only things that ever go wrong are the things you don't have the tools to fix.

I'm wondering whether the same logic ought to apply to medications. If you stock up your medicine cabinet with cures for every lurgy known to mankind, the chances are you'll never be ill.

Back to the are you ready for Christmas yet theme, we have a small tree on the lounge windowsill, a larger one outside the front door, on which is a wreath. That's likely to be the extent of our decorations, unless the Christmas madness takes over closer to the day.

A hamper arrived this afternoon, sent by our daughter's family in Switzerland containing a nice bottle of Shiraz and a bottle of Prosecco, a Christmas, pud mince pies, the obligatory tin of Scottish shortbread, brandy butter, a box of truffles and various packets that claim to be posh nibbles of one sort or another. Oh, and some tea and coffee.

To be honest, that ought to be all we need, along with a turkey and some Brussels sprouts, but you can bet your life that in the coming weeks, the checkout assistant will gradually be asking me for increasing amounts of money at every shop before Christmas.

Jamvic and (deleted member) like this.
  7. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Duke, shall we start a thread about mis-placed commas using your example?....

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

@Jamvic, I also used to use Beechams max strength when I had a cold, but last year was converted to day and night nurse. I haven't yet found anything which shortens the duration of a cold, but they definitely helped me sleep at night.

9. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

We are in the middle of moving house so not much time for organising Christmas stuff, but moving in with my partner’s parents so it will be very Christmassy once we do move!
    But I’ve been collecting Christmas gifts for a month or two now. I’ve got some lovely secondhand books and knick knacks in charity shops. I’ve tried to buy charity or independent for as much as possible. But I will call into beloved John Lewis, as usual!

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

By all means. I frequently add punctuation inappropriately so that people have to read my posts several times to work out what I'm saying. Even if they disagree with me, subliminally the message I'm trying to get across gets through.

It's a bit like the way an advertising slogan for getting Brexit done works in the hope that if said frequently enough, the message gets drummed in, but far more subtle.

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Just the once generally does for me
    :p

12. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Pretty good so far:
    • 95% of presents bought
    • All Christmas Cards written and sent
    • Decorations up
    • Doing the 'Big Christmas shop' next week
    ..... aaaaaannnd relaaax!

13. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Really hoping that everyone picks up and that you don't go down with it

14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

How lovely. What a thoughtful and generous daughter you have. This is one of the advantages of daughters over sons imo. My two boys (men), or indeed my OH, would never spontaneously think of anything like this in a million years.

15. Doitforfree

Right, pepes, what do I buy for son three? He's 26, works as a computer programmer, plays go and likes baking pannetonne, and cooking. He's very unmaterialistic. I'd love to think of something really good that he'd like. It doesn't have to be expensive but I'd like to get something he would appreciate. Any ideas?

1 person likes this.
  16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Professional quality knife. I got Son2 one last year from JL. Cost £60 and he says it's the best pres he ever got.

17. Doitforfree

That's a great idea. He has some very ordinary ones, but one really good one would be appreciated, I'm sure. I still use the professional knives I got before I got married, apart from the one I managed to snap in two trying to cut something frozen. I didn't even know that could happen! And we have a really good shop for kitchen things nearby. I'll probably discourage him from carrying it home on the train though!

18. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

I can confirm. Their all butter mini mince pies (12 for £1.78) are the best I've ever tasted. I have eaten six this weekend.

19. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

See, all of you who say that people don't write cards/use 'paper' timetables/newspapers/magazines nowadays-I'm assuming if OP has a son writing his Christmas list, they are quite young (or perhaps I should stop assuming, stop procrastinating and do my own xmas stuff:) )

1 person likes this.
  20. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

When I say ‘write a list’ what I really mean is send me links to things I can buy online!