1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are your Christmas preparations going?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Over_the_hill, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

Didn't know HelenREMfan had problems. Flooding? Commiserations.
    Not done much. Bought a big tree and plonked it in the front yard. That will come in much later this month. Oh I did get some goose fat half price at Tesco and some chestnuts in a sachet also half price.

Went to sing with our little loopy inner city choir twice at the weekend. Once at a swimming pool so we sang in a noisy echo chamber to semi naked people. That was weird. Then in a big charity shop on the Town Street which was full of sofas. Which absorbed the sound. That was a bit weird too.
    We have one amazing lady of 84 who in her younger days sang in the variety clubs and working men's clubs that were once so common round these parts.
    She has at least stage 3 cancer and is going for some radical surgery on Thursday even though her heart is also weak. She sang "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas..."
    Not a dry eye in the choir.
    I'm a bit skint this year so we are going to do big buffets instead of cooked meals and people can bring what they like. I'm relieved about this.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Cards all written and posted. No tree yet probably get it next week. Got most of the presents though some still to arrive as bought online. Need to get the meat order in to the butcher and work out what other food we need.
    First Christmas in the new house so haven't quite sorted out all the best shopping places yet.
    Not feeling very festive this year.

Jamvic and (deleted member) like this.
  3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Most presents bought and some are packed. Will do the cards for posting later today.
    We are now spending Xmas at my parents'. There will be 19 of us. I'll be in charge of roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings. It will be strange eating the meal early afternoon. We are used to sitting down for it at 6.30.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Nice idea, but the shape of it wouldn’t work.
    I’ve done the rounds of the garden centres this morning and have bought a tree which fits the space much better: six foot but more slimline, and with good space between branches for effective bauble-hanging. I’m very pleased with it. :)

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The nieces and nephews all want cash. Mr BS has already been wearing his present. Secret Santa presents are done and wrapped.

I have written a menu plan for when my Mum is with us. The Christmas delivery slot is booked and I have ordered a goose from the butchers. Train tickets are booked for me to travel to collect my Mum and bring her to stay.

We have just found out that Mr BS has a carpal tunnel operation on 18th December. He has instructions to check how long it will be before he can wash up!

6. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I've just dusted and vacuumed all round in readiness for putting up the tree. I just can't seem to muster any enthusiasm. OH has no interest in Christmas and contributes nothing to preparations although he will do most of the Xmas dinner because he doesn't like my cooking! I have long ago given up expecting a present from him. Junior Bedlams are not interested in Christmas decorations unless I put them up and clear them away. I do try to make an effort but when no one else is interested it seems pointless. Maybe next year I should do a Shirley Valentine but somewhere warmer than Greece in Dcember :)

7. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

We’ve not done a thing. Norovirus has flatten two out of three of us so everything is on hold until everyone is better. On the mend now but not quite there yet. It’s a nasty little bug - we’ve never experienced it before and the news is correct - it’s horrible. Ah well, onwards and upwards.

8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Siri to hear that Smurphy. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

I hate cleaning so I need to do it near enough to Christmas that I don't need to do it a second time.

9. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Spent all morning writing Christmas cards. All those needing to be posted now done, just those for the neighbours we hand deliver to do! Definitely ahead of our usual schedule!

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

20191208_132507.jpg 20191208_132546.jpg

These two represent the full extent of my personal preparation so far.

11. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Aw, they're cute!

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The norovirus has struck our school - lots of kids and teachers off last Friday

13. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Our school too, Peakster - staff and kids. I've escaped it so far and am obsessively using hand sanitiser! Don't know if it makes any difference though.

14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Not as good as soap and water, according to the NHS.

15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

This year I give Aldi's fancy mince pies a hundred out of ten. The sloe gin ones and the Black Forest ones are uh-maze-ing. So much for the low carb eating plan.
    Ten minutes ago I bought my ten year old Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds on CD for Christmas. Hope she loves it.

16. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Norovirus is immune to alcohol based hand sanitizer! Good old soap and water does the trick. I haven’t had it but my two immediate family members have. One went down with it last Monday and the second one last Wednesday. We’ve had disturbed nights with vomiting and clearing up the mess and I’ve been coming home as early as I can to act as nurse as it’s a surprisingly debilitating illness. Symptoms pass relatively quickly - within two/three days - but both of them are now absolutely wiped out and even though the vomiting has passed have zero appetite and no energy whatsoever. They have been eating Rich Tea biscuits and toast for nearly a week - and thats because I’m making them eat something. Roll on next week when hopefully they start feeling more like their old selves.

17. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

How thoroughly miserable! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Our local hospital is admitting few visitors because of it.

I hate to be catty but it's funny how things like this are ALWAYS contracted by members of staff who like to have lots of time off. With one exception our current staff are great attenders these days - absenteeism is at an all time low. However the one who isn't has already booked a week off with it.

1 person likes this.
  19. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Sorry to hear about anyone who is poorly or who has poorly relatives, and @Nellyfuf2 your post was very thought-provoking. :(
    Well I managed to summon the strength to deliver the cards around the close and I purchased my Radio Times. It was very pricey and a pound more than TV Times but all the programmes I like (Strictly, Gavin and Stacey, HIGNFY, Call the Midwife etc) are on BBC so I like to read the articles.
    I went to Boots and spent a small fortune on Max Strength flu capsules, Night Nurse, honey and menthol lozenges, high strength Vitamin C etc in the hope that I can get through next week. My chest is hurting from coughing. It will be a miracle if I am still standing by Friday.
    @primarycat hope you feel better soon too x

sunshineneeded, primarycat and Jamvic like this.
  20. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Why be catty then if you hate it?

1 person likes this.