1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are your Christmas preparations going?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Over_the_hill, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This made me laugh imagining you trying to 'gift wrap and then carrying it to give to your Mum! :D :p

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I wrote and posted my Christmas cards well over a week ago! Ex sister in law has posted her surprise (I was her first card to arrive) and said I was obviously trying to make up for being perpetually late when sending birthday cards ! I have still to write all the local non-posting cards.
    I started a marathon wrapping a week + ago but lethally.... stopped having got stiff....so job's only half done - that is unusual for me as I usually do a marathon. I keep putting it off too.
    I reckon I haven't managed equality between the girls.... younger doesn't have as much but she has asked for John Lewis vouchers as she hopes to maybe be getting a London flat some time this year (very complicated situation there and tbh I really wonder whether it will happen....but tis out of my control.
    I gave up getting a fresh tree last year and bought 2 live trees (from Aldi) which have survived me in their pots either side of the front door so I just need to get the lights I drape around them set up. MRREMfan has got sundry decorations out of the loft. I have a mini artificial tree sort of decoration as I can have that in the lounge.
    Christmas food from Morrisons is on order - despite booking on the first day the bookings were released, I only got Sun 22 Dec for my order which doesn't really suit me. Younger child will prob get the goose she likes to cook from B'ham market, will tell me all I have got is not right and why haven't I coordinated with her (she does the cooking as I am relegated to sous -chef aka chief veg peeler) She will no doubt go to the farm shop and replicate most of the course I have already bought. (at 5 times the price)
    My kitchen? Well most of the stuff is back in cupboards. The demand from younger is that I get rid of all the **** ) aka everything I use on a more or less daily basis) so she has clear work surfaces to use. So I will have to get an unused washing basket and sweep cookery books, tea/coffee stuff, etc etc and stuff it all outside in the now unoccupied annexe. The water damage is still evident and I have no flooring in the hall or kitchen so it looks a right mess...but no work could be done til after Christmas.

I still have round 3 to face with water company and insurance wallahs ..... just what you need at this time of year.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah.
    Yes.
    That.
    Sorry.

Well, a few years ago I was diagnosed with something called Witzelsucht.

...only joking.

4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Could you just use the top section of your existing large tree on its own in a pot?

smoothnewt and (deleted member) like this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Wrapping and carrying it over to her house has been no issue, it was just finding a tree the right size for it to fit under...found one eventually on line; that was quite a tall order.

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

She hasn't really bought her a fridge...

7. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Tree - done
    Dogs’ grooming visit - done
    Outdoor lights - done
    Cards - doing tonight.
    Household decorations - doing today.
    Christmas flowers, planter & wreath - to buy at Christmas market
    Christmas market day out with friend - planned & looking forward to.
    Boxing Day lunch - breaking with tradition, table booked at local restaurant.
    Holiday foods collection online order M&S & Morrison’s - done, both to collect on 23rd
    Butcher meat order - done, to collect on 23rd
    Cake decoration - done
    Gifts - Bought, not wrapped - hate doing this more each year :(
    Radio/TV times - haven’t bought for years but might get them after reading this thread.
    Lidl & Aldi - haven’t been to either for years, went when they first hit the UK scene I remember not being too impressed with the bag packing arrangements. However, newish branches of both are not too far away so I might pop in one afternoon this week to see what I’ve been missing as everyone seems to love them now.

Operation Christmas planning - currently 90% on schedule!

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I have done almost nothing yet. We were away last week and managed to buy a few small presents, and next week we are going on a shoppping trip, so that should sort it. I am probably having the whole family here for Xmas day, that is to say nine of us, because we have put the house on the market and I Am Staying At Home This Year. So I do need to do some of the cooking and freezing soon. But my S-i-L will bring a starter and my mum will bring a cake, so not too much trouble there. And then (cunning plan, which may not work out) everyone will Go Home again, leaving me and Mr Mothorchid here alone!
    Cards should be tackled by next weekend, with luck.
    Tree, a live one in a pot on the terrace much of the year, will come in on about 20th for decoration, otherwise it struggles to cope with the warmth.
    I do have an advent candle which I light each evening. Does that count?

9. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I'm not sure what I've done or not done yet. Like @Over_the_hill I've got a cold and feel distinctly disembodied. There are mountains of parcels that I haven't had the energy to open. But I've got until 27th before Christmas so there is still time.

I had a tree in a pot that we brought back in a year later once and never again. A bit of time in the central heating and our flat was like the Amazon rain forest. Hundreds of insects that must have been hibernating on it all thought it was summer and were buzzing around everywhere.

10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

That brought back lovely, warm memories of watching my grandma’s advent candle get smaller & smaller in the lead up to Christmas. I got a bit welled up there :oops:

11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:eek: Ugh!

primarycat and (deleted member) like this.
  12. mothorchid

Yes, @primaryclass, this happened to us one year. This tree is not covered in greenfly and I am hopeful all will be well.

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

(oops wrong mention-hey ho anything to increase participation,eh!)

14. mothorchid

primarycat and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

All presents bought except one for son three who doesn't want anything so I have to be inspired. Pudding made. My sister does the rest. No preparations in the house at all yet. I'll give everywhere a good clean and make the beds next week. Huge list of jobs to do today, none of them Christmas related!

Jamvic and (deleted member) like this.
  16. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Too early for this....

17. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

We'll buy a couple of puds at sale price to take to friends in the philippines for next year.

Nothing done yet!

18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Tree up, cards sent, pud and cake made, children's presents bought. I suppose I'd better wrap them in case they happen upon them.
    I've been trying to give the loft a clear-out so everything is filthy and covered with boxes. I'm going to give the house a good clean tomorrow.

19. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Presents bought. Cards written. I said I’d post them this morning when I walked to the corner shop for a Sunday newspaper then forgot them. No motivation to put up decorations yet.

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We are putting up our little plastic tree this morning.

Will write xmas cards this week - got my form ones sorted.

Food - will start to accumulate the next week or two.

Presents - will do mostly after we break up as I usually do.