1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are your Christmas preparations going?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Over_the_hill, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I’ve still got about a dozen cards to write.
    I need to deliver cards to all the neighbours in my road when I feel better (stinking cold).
    Youngest is writing me a Christmas list but nothing produced yet (will probably be given to me on Christmas Eve).
    Food shopping I will do once school has broken up.
    Is the TV/Radio Times in the shops yet? I need to circle my viewing! That is a ceremony in itself.
    Panto tonight.
    How about you?

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I've been instructed to track down the award-winning Exquisite Christmas Pudding from Aldi today. "I am just going outside and may be gone some time... "

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Tree up. Cards to do. Some food acquired (the rest nearer the time).

frangipani123 likes this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I was also thinking of getting an Aldi pud, @florian gassmann - but yesterday a neighbour knocked to tell me she's going away today until well after Christmas. She asked us to keep an eye on her house and gave me a Harrod's luxury pudding. I'm sure that will fit the bill nicely! Glad I hadn't yet been to Aldi ….

As for the rest of it - tree is up, cards posted, presents bought and (mostly) wrapped - will finish it today. This thread has reminded me that I need to buy my once-a-year TV guide. Won't even think about food shopping until we break up.

Happy Christmas preparations, everyone!

5. Over_the_hill

According to the various newspaper reviews I’ve seen, Aldi mince pies are the best! I will definitely get some.
    I’m still addicted to their satsumas, I bought 4 bags yesterday!

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Most presents bought, most cards written and ready to post. Food ideas on their way. We're still sorting out our extended bedroom and the ongoing irritations have made it hard to concentrate on Christmas and now husband has hurt his knee so feel pretty inadequately prepared in my head although I have actually got quite a lot of jobs done. Mince pies this am and will look at food plans again.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I am particularly proud to have bought all my presents for all my family members.
    My mum's been feeling a bit glum recently, so I got her a new fridge-I can't wait to see her face light up when she opens it.

nizebaby, Jamvic, Lara mfl 05 and 4 others like this.
  8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I went to Lidl for the first time yesterday and I was most impressed! So I bought Christmas goodies (the store was heaving with them!) and had a big bag of shopping for only £15! I went with Baby Bassett no 1 but my nearest Lidls are twenty minutes away in either direction- but definitely worth another visit.
    Baby Bassett no 2 and I are having Christmas Dinner at my local pub so I don’t have to do a big food shop.
    The tree will be erected next weekend.
    I struggle with Christmas but my family always help me through it.

9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Are you practising for a stand-up routine,@sbkrobson ?
    I keep noticing these one-liners all over the forii.:)

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The Harrods pud did well in the Which taste tests, but was thought to contain too much alcohol. Now, what's wrong with that? !!!

This is the first time Mrs G has not made her own Christmas pudding (usually started in September), but we're getting on a bit now, and will have at least six for Xmas lunch, so I don't mind getting one in - but Aldi branches are few and far between in this neck of the woods, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have already sold out after coming No.1 in the Which pudding tests.

Still, I have a secret plan up my sleeve - I know who makes the puds for Aldi (Berries on the Isle of Man), so for an even larger outlay I should be able to get one sent by post if my shopping trip today fails.

11. Over_the_hill

Bertie I’ve never been to Lidl either. Maybe one day in the holidays as we are so near each other we could go together for a mooch! (followed by a coffee!)

12. Over_the_hill

PS Apparently the Christmas Radio Times went on sale yesterday!

13. Dunteachin

Tree up. One present bought. No food shopping. Some cards written. That's it!

I only have 4 people to buy for, and they've no idea what they want, so that's no help.

Christmas lunch will be round at my son's house, so I won't have to cook it for the first time in 30 odd years. Hooray!

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You don't know what you're missing. We've been doing our weekly shopping there for years and years.

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I’ve enjoyed being able to potter around the shops looking for presents on quiet weekday mornings now I’m retired: such a luxury. Still quite a few to buy and none yet wrapped up. Will do that that today
    and continue my present hunt tomorrow morning.
    Christmas tree crisis: we’ve had the same one for years and years but it is huge and with some new furniture in place it now looks out of place - cramped on the corner. I half assembled it yesterday but decided it was too much faff and did not look right. I found a second, smaller one in the loft that my daughter used to use in her Reception classroom, but that had seen better days and looked a sorry sight. So nothing doing at the moment and I’m not sure how to move forward.
    Turkey and trimmings ordered from the butcher. Pudding being provided by SiL so no bother there.
    Cards bought but none yet written.
    Everything being put on hold for a few days while I pop over to Poland for a few days later in the week to visit husband who is coming to the end of a fortnight working there. Looking forward to the Christmassy vibe there.
    Will resume my Christmas prep the following week.

16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I can vouch for Aldi mince pies. Several boxes have already found their way into this house. I have crackers, truffles, Christmas pud, various sweet treats, pate, cheeses (all from Aldi). The Christmas lights are up outside and the tree will be next week, when Christmas fettling has taken place.

Cards are yet to be finished and the only present bought is one for my youngest grandson, which needs to be posted. The rest will have money because that’s what they want. Token presents for the adults.

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We have two big Aldi stores equidistant from us, which are new and spacious. A new Lidl is under construction a few miles away and another proposed for nest year, about two miles away. Yay!

18. Dunteachin

The thing is, if I start buying Christmas treats, I'll start eating them! So, I shall wait until the very last moment. Our daughter is coming to stay for a week, so I shall have to get goodies in for her.
    Yep, Aldi is great for everything. We don't have a Lidl nearby. Although, I had to laugh, last week - I saw a Lidl in a very posh, historic building in Zürich!

19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Lidl are certainly going into overdrive with their extension plans. We’ve had two new ones opened near us in the past two years.
    Would love a local Aldi though.

20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Is it Christmas soon then? That says pretty much everything about my preparations. ;)

I did try shopping in that 'German shop' for Christmas goodies for the family hampers, but they were so low on stock I got virtually nothing.