1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How Are You Teaching Poetry?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JosieWhitehead, Oct 31, 2015.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I'd love to hear how you are teaching poetry in your classroom? What fun activities do you have and are you them to perform poetry?

2. MannyDog

MannyDog New commenter

I've always found it hard to teach as a one-hour lesson until children have a good vocabulary to draw on, etc. Therefore hard in KS1 or other children with poorer life/literary exposure.

However, I read poems every day, including learning, as a class, a poem every month or so - including printing it, laminating it and displaying several around the classroom.

So tbh I mostly teach poetry in those 5 minutes here and there throughout the day.

Sam

3. MannyDog

MannyDog New commenter

Though I did do a direct innovation of verse one fo "The Owl and the Pussycat" (find it so hard to keep a straight face later in that poem!) - literally the children swapped the owl, cat, money, honey, boat and place for their own ideas and plugged them in - felt about right for our Y3s in October.

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Hello MannyDog - It seems a shame that you have to "teach" poetry as a one-hour lesson and I can quite understand how it is. I have a "listening page" on my website where, just for five quiet minutes or so a day, the children can sit and listen to a poem read - and no reading or studying poetry, just listening. I wrote my poems for children in my local school and they looked forward very much to my visit and my five minutes with me of just listening to a new poem. They especially asked me to make a website and put my poems, but four boys emphasized that they would like voice recordings as just "listening" to poetry is so nice - and they are quite right. So have your five minutes a day. I've put some voice recordings on here as my contributions to resources. I'd love to know how you get on. Josie

5. sir2006

sir2006 New commenter

I use a variety of poems that from experience, learners tend to enjoy e.g. The Coming of the Wee Malkies, I know Someone Who Can and Mum's Put Me on the Transfer List. I use examples of children reciting poetry on i-tunes or on You Tube and have the children give each recital two stars and a wish. Ultimately, we then recite a poem aloud as a class, boys vs girls and in small groups. Hints for Poetry Recital are always on display. As a homework task, children practise a poem chosen by them and have the option of reciting it individually or in pairs/small groups to the rest of the class and I assess their performance against this.

6. KS2History

KS2History New commenter