1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are you teaching GCSE Computing?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by CricketLover, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Hi
    What is your structure of delivering the OCR GCSE Computing course? Do you do A451, then A452 and A453? Do you run some units parallel?
    Thanks.

2. Hi
    What is your structure of delivering the OCR GCSE Computing course? Do you do A451, then A452 and A453? Do you run some units parallel?
    Thanks.

3. This year I've taught one lesson on 'programming' per week plus 1 or 2 lessons of theory. In that time we've covered the basics of programming (syntax, variables, assignment, selection, iteration) as well as hardware, binary representation, boolean logic and assembly language. Since Easter we focussed solely on A452 and when we go back it'll be mostly programming with some theory on HTML, CSS, networking, etc. before a big push for the exam after Feb. half term.

I would try to avoid getting hung up on which unit as programming can hit elements of all 3.

4. Thanks for your reply HappyHippy.
    What programming language do you recommend? I was thinking about doing Scratch and BBC Basic. However, looking at the control assignments it seems that other languages could 'pop-up'.

5. I've used Scratch, Python and the Little Man Computer. One great idea I was given last week is to use Scratch as a design tool before coding the program proper in whichever language floats your boat.