1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are you letting your parents know about the Y1 phonics screening check?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dalian Daisy, May 3, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Are you sending a letter, having a meeting or not doing anything? Curious to know what other schools are doing re it.
    Thanks!

2. Hi,
    Are you sending a letter, having a meeting or not doing anything? Curious to know what other schools are doing re it.
    Thanks!

3. I think you have to tell parents:

How will the results from the phonics screening check be used?
    Schools’ results will not be published, although schools will have to tell parents their child’s results. Schools will be given the flexibility to inform parents in the way they think most suitable. Data will be available on RAISEOnline, for use by schools, local authorities and Ofsted as part of their inspections process.

[From here: http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/pedagogy/a00198207/faqs-year-1-phonics-screening-check]

4. Hi Rachmac,
    Thanks for your reply. The link is great as there is a leaflet for parents on the site that we could use alongside our own letter. It's worth a look other posters!
    Thanks again.

5. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

I've written a letter explaining what it is, how I will let them know results and have tried to put it in context for them so they don't get hyper about it. If I get lots of them asking questions I will have a meeting.

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

7. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Re: the question in the subject of the OP
    I don't think my mother would be too interested so I shall not be telling her about the phonics test unless she asks me.

8. We're having a meeting - our parents are the sort that will panic about it. However the short meeting we had agreed on now seems to be turning into some sort of phonics-reading beast...

So far our less able readers are doing the best on our pratice tests... Think the mid to high (but not quite highest) children are the most thrown by the non-words. Our lower ones are more used to having to sound out and so are scoring quite well...

9. Ha ha! Thanks for the replies anyway x

10. Hi Dagnabit,
    Is there any chance that you could send me, private message me or cut & paste into a reply what your letter says? I'd be grateful to see how you explain it as I'm not always the most succinct at explaining it. I think your approach sound most sensible!
    Thanks!!

11. Ooh, if it's not too late could I possibly have a copy too please? sthom1@wsgfl.org.uk thanks :)

12. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i have helpfully advised all of mine that sounding out might be a sensible course of action. we don't start till tomorrow as i've been off sick.

13. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I haven't mentioned the check to parents and only have 2 absentees to check when they come back so probably too late to think about it [​IMG]

We sent out the results with the end of year reports last year so imagine we will do the same this year

14. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

I am adding a line to their end of year report which says "x has achieved the expected level of phonic knowledge" or "x is working towards the expected level of phonic knowledge". That's all.

15. We had a meeting in the spring term to inform the parents about the requirements, offer a chance to answer questions and point them in the direction of resources. We showed them the training video so they had a clear understanding of what the children were being check on, we only offered them what they could freely find themselves on the DFE website.

After the check we send a letter home in their reports saying if their child had passed or failed and the next steps for support and intervention.

Overall very supportive group of mums and dads.