1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are you doing?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bramblesarah, Apr 13, 2020.

1. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Hi everyone,
    Hope you are all doing okay financially. Just a post to say I am thinking of you and hoping you are all finding ways to pay the bills.
    Are there any English tutors in Bolton/Chorley/Wigan? I often get asked for recommendations. I tutor Maths. I am not promising any work but I would be happy to pass on names and contact details.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  2. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Hi - I hope you're doing ok, too. It feels like quite a difficult time (understatement?!) for lots of people, at the moment. Finding new tutees feels like banging my head against a brick wall. I think I'm going to take a step back, for now, before it really lowers my mood! The situation hasn't been helped by some ***** having smashed up both of the wing mirrors of my car last night. Why?!!! Bored, frustrated, angry, I suppose. I'm an English tutor, but down south. Thank you for putting that offer out there, though :)

3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I've managed to hang on to some year 10 and year 12 students using Zoom and also one year 13 but cancelling exams has lost me all year 11's and the remaining year 13's. Online tutoring has gone better than expected considering my lack of technical ability. The most useful thing for me has been having a separate webcam so I can show them what I have written, which is much easier than using the online whiteboard to do complicated maths.

4. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

Sorry a late reply and I hope you managed to get your wing mirrors fixed. Some people are just plain horrible. Whereabouts down South are you? Is it London? I'm from South London. Really struggling at the mo like everyone else, but on the good side, all the repairs, painting and DIY jobs that needed doing are being done and the house is looking spotless with the amount of cleaning going on at home!

Mrsmumbles and CloudsTES like this.
  5. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Thanks for your message! I'm in 'leafy' Surrey. You're right; I can't think that their motive was anything other than mindless lashing out. It's not the end of the world - the mechanic I go to told me a few months ago that the car's not going to get through its next MOT (due in September), anyway, so I'm just going to keep the mirrors in place with gaffer tape, until then! That sounds very impressive re: the cleaning! My greatest achievement, during the lockdown, has been in signifcantly increasing my tea and wine intake, as well as TV viewing... On the plus side, I will never be intimidated at the prospect of video calling (or, indeed, screen sharing!), ever again...

6. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I lost all my students but am back up to 30 hours a week now with all new students. Online is strange and competitive but I've certainly learn loads doing it. I like to spend some of the year abroad in warmer climes so now I feel I have mastered the online business I can work wherever I am in the world. So being forced online may have helped me.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Where did you find all your online students? I haven't picked up any new ones.

8. Telvis

Telvis New commenter

That's great Brian, you've done really well. I tutor maths at Secondary level, but like Gainly I've not had any new students since the lockdown started, although about a third of my existing students have moved to online tuition. Let us know how you achieved this, if this is something you want to share, but no probs if you prefer not to.

9. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Hi I used TF and made myself appear high on their listings. Things like responding to inquiries in minutes..

10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Thanks, I'm not on TF and when I looked they're not taking any new tutors at present.

11. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

Coincidence !!!. I'm from Surrey too, Sutton to be exact. I tend call it South London because a few people mix it up with the Sutton up North!!! Glad to meet another Surrey person on here!!

Mrsmumbles and CloudsTES like this.