1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are you doing Baseline Assessment - new eyfs

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Crownie13, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Forgive me if people have answered this - I have seen general posts about new EYFS but not relating specifically to baseline.
    Baseline would normally be done using the Profile as a starter, so that when the Profile is filled out at the end, progress over the year can be shown plain and simple. However, with the Profile not coming out until Jan (if then!!), with no real idea of what it will be like, what do you plan on doing? Using DM and ELG as appropriate?

2. Hi
    I have produced some documents to use in Sept using the DM and Characteristics of effective learning. Our LA say we should have software by Jan 13 but we have had problems before and as we are due an ofsted I don't want to get caught out. They might not be any good but you could have a look - I have uploaded them under EYFS assessment.
    Lily

3. Sorry should have mentioned that they are under PSED resources for EYFS.

4. Thanks these looks great. So are you going to do baseline by highlighting off DM (and perhaps ELG for v high ability) each child is showing evidence off? & for the 3 main areas or all areas?

Are you also planning on using characteristics of effective learning as baseline?

Thankyou (from an NQT :) )

5. These resources are great thank you!

6. I've been on some assessment training today and our LEA gave us some simple tracking sheets to follow.
    They suggest that for baseline/headteacher's and Ofsted you use ELG and state what % of your children are at 30-50 mths/40-60/ELG on entry and then at autumn/spring/summer.
    Not allowed to reproduce them as they are copyrighted, but if anyone wants to mail me to discuss this further I am happy to!!!!
    Louise

7. Lililput
    Are you an ICT whizz, those assessments are brilliant!
    Louise

8. Hi Crownie
    Yes I am going to do baseline by highlighting DM for all and possible ELG for v. high ability children for all areas. I am also going to be using characteristics of effective learning too as I feel that this is a very important aspect and will probalby update this throughout the year as and when I see progress.
    Hope that helps.
    Lily

9. No, I am not an ICT whizz but really wanted something I could use. We are due an OFSTED any minute and have a funny feeling they won't turn up till September so thought I needed something to use unti our LA get themselves sorted.
    Thanks anyway, I am glad someone esle will get use from them.
    Lily

10. lilyput
    I can't open your grids!! They sound great!
    Please help, I would love to see them!
    Thanks

11. coco and crusty

coco and crusty New commenter

Hi lilyput,
    trying to have a look at your fantastic sounding resource but it says its been removed [​IMG] I would love to see them too.
    coco

12. We currently highlight DM each term in our nursery so will continue to use this in reception, it seems sensible rather than starting all over again on the scale points sheet like we used to. each term we will look if they are emerging, developing, confident or exceeding (1-4) in each area and note this down to show progression

13. I can't find lilyput's resource either!

14. jen77

jen77 New commenter

Have just looked for them too!! [​IMG]

15. Hi everybody
    Sorry for the confusion but I removed them so I could save them in a format that is compatible with older versions of word. I am busy today but will put them back on in a different format tonight and hope that works!
    Thanks
    Lily.

16. Have you got ur email? I'd love to hear your views

Mel

17. Hi Liliyput - I've found them but they won't open, it keeps saying 'There was an error opening up the file'.

Is anyone else having trouble??

18. sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah New commenter

Progress is not allowed to be measured using profile scores only on stage. So will still do baseline highlighting stage- best fit. I went on county training today and they said you should not assess children on the characteristics on learning.

19. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we have been told to only assess on 3 prime areas. when challenged, as ofsted had told one school that they expected to see all areas baselined, advisor basically said to do what she told us to do. then said ofsted didn't like her very much.
    this did not inspire confidence.

20. Great!! And so it begins....Ofsted not knowing anything!!!