1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are you coping ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Curae, Mar 15, 2020.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

She won't be any morw of a danger than anyone else, surely?

2. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

I live with a very vulnerable person. We are taking all possible precautions, which are all negated by the fact that I still have to go to school tomorrow. I am worried sick. If I do have to "self isolate", I can't do it at home, I can't go to my parents (they're in their 80's) - what do I do?

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Does anyone know? Are you actively infectious whilst asymptomatic? What if you have it and don't know it? I believe that's pretty common.

I think you just have to have separate rooms, eat separately and wash your hands a lot.

Same as when I was on chemo. And HM was going to work. Could have contracted anything and I did actually have to be hospitalised at one point with an infection.

Where could you go? I'd say to stay put but keep your distance. Otherwise friends. Family. Or your local inn?

friedgreentomatoes and Jamvic like this.
  4. LORRYW

LORRYW New commenter

My faith in human nature has been restored! I have just received an envelope through my front door. It contained contact details from a complete stranger who will supply shopping etc if we need to self isolate.

5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I have an awful suspicion that there will be many people in their 70’s who will choose to ignore the self isolation period, especially those used to being active.

tonymars and magic surf bus like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

I am sure you're right @Jamvic

No way are my neighbours going to be told to stay at home! Tough old bunch they are! Nor do I see why they should if they're healthy. Why?

Jamvic likes this.
  7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

People can still go out for a walk as long as they stay away from other people.

I find myself going along as normal and then having a little wobble when I think of some other new thing that will be affected or that don't be happening. It feels at if the whole world has taken a sudden sideways shift.

bombaysapphire and Sally006 like this.
  8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Because if they catch it they will add to the burden on the health service which is going to be colossal under any circumstances.

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Their choice. They're being asked to self-isolate for their own protection as they are a vulnerable group; and because vulnerable, more likely to require hospitalisation, taking up scarce resources.
    Edit: snap!

smilingisgoodforyou and Jamvic like this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

But what if they're fit as fiddles? I promise you. Every single one of my neighbours is! Colin is 82. Last year he demolished our huge shed single-handedly. His wife is 78. Nobody is fitter than she is.

Jamvic likes this.
  11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

It’s like one of those ethical conundrums that philosophy students have to discuss. Except the consequences are scarily real rather than theoretical.

Sally006 likes this.
  12. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

My dad phoned me this morning and we discussed as to what to do if they have to self isolate and he said that he would do onlone shopping . I did offer to shop for them and they were grateful but they would be happy to shop.online .
    Mind you dad is very good at growing g his own veg so that's a bonus. I have plenty of seeds he could use so he wouldn't need to go out.
    All we need inow is for the weather to warm up :)

Jamvic, Sally006 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Agree Jude........the economic fallout will be far more harmful than the virus.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Indeed he could.
    But both of us being outdoors, in a country that is CV free, and will screen us to the best of their ability on arrival, is IMO less risky than staying here.
    I think it is pretty mean spirited to differentiate where one catches the virus..........what are we going to do to the guy who first brought the virus over here? Public flogging?
    If my husband ends up on a ventilator he will not be taking up a much needed ventilator...........he will be the person needing it! You cannot allocate NHS resources depending on where a virus 'might' have been caught.
    What a fundamentally daft and stupid post.
    I have friends returning from the USA. If they have the virus would you say they are taking up a much needed ventilator......dear, oh dear, oh dear!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

lexus300 likes this.
  15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I fully intend to ignore it as long as I am well. If I fall ill then I will comply.

16. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

I am on my own with only my sister around. What worries me more than anything is... if I'm so ill that I can't get out of bed (or worse), WHO will take care of my dog (the one that in spite of endless attempts to train him still refuses to wee or poo in the garden!) Best not to dwell on it I think......

17. smilingisgoodforyou

smilingisgoodforyou Occasional commenter

If they do, they are being very selfish.People can't grumble that nothing is being done and then ignore the advice given. Isolation is for our own good.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  18. smilingisgoodforyou

Why?

19. smilingisgoodforyou

Just because they are fit now doesn't mean they won't succumb. They should follow the advice given to protect themselves and others.

20. smilingisgoodforyou

Sadly just another example of "I'm going to do what I want and never mind anyone else". Like this insane stockpiling .:(