1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are you coping ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Curae, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Yep. I'm retired, but I'd still tell them to eff off.

Jamvic and TheoGriff like this.
  2. Dunteachin

I'll never forget, at a social occasion, saying to an Ofsted inspector "And when did you last stand in front of a class?"

Drink had been taken.

Mr D likes to remind me.

jellycowfish, bevdex, vannie and 20 others like this.
  3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I knew I liked you.

jellycowfish, bevdex, caress and 8 others like this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

At only 60 I'm the oldest surviving member of a small extended family. My heart goes out to those of you who are juggling elderly infirm parents, and the numerous dilemmas that will go with it. I'm not one for prayer, but I'm firmly hoping for a positive outcome for all of you with the kind of difficulties that I no longer have to face.

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

6. Dunteachin

Yep, Mr D and I were orphaned decades ago. Only us and our 2 children. Cousins we've never seen forever. MrD's 90 year old aunt and her children, cast adrift due to a family feud, that Mr D has continued.
    Although, we did go and see her a few months ago, and his cousins turned up! Lovely people.
    They've never seen our children, in their 30s.
    How shocking is that?!

But, I have 3 lovely sisters.

At times like this...well, ...

emerald52, Alice K, Jamvic and 4 others like this.
  7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Health is the number one priority, but the economics will be a nightmare.

There'll be people who come out of this alive and well and without any income, savings or home.

Unless the government tells mortgage companies and landlords to suspend their expected housing payments.

I expect public sector workers who are sent home will still get paid. The self employed and business owners will either make more income or none at all.

The great leveller!

Nanny Ogg, Jamvic, TheoGriff and 3 others like this.
  8. Curae

Curae Star commenter

((((((())))))))
    Thank you for this

9. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Exactly... the folk on here are coping not just with CV19 they are dealing with existing health issues caring for the elderly putting up with family living abroad with the uncertainty of what will happen. We are dealing with cancer, heart disease aswell as diagnosed mental health issues. Several will returm to work tommorrow. WE are not weak WE are not flaky WE are real. WE will go from strength to strength.
    Well done TESSERS
    (((((((((()))))))))
    Curae xxxxx

10. MrsKK

MrsKK New commenter

I'm pregnant with my second child, due in June. I'm worried about giving birth on my own, as my mum was going to stay with our 3-yr-old daughter while I was in hospital with my partner. But she's 69 and her husband is over 70 so they won't be leaving the house pretty soon. I'm also worried about having the virus when I'm due and being separated from my newborn.

11. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Mrs J suffers from a blood cell condition that requires her to have a transfusion every two weeks and as a result she has a reduced immune system.

She is worried that supplies will run low as less people donate blood especially as she does not have a common blood group.

I do not have the same blood group but I thought that I would make an appointment to give blood. At the moment the availability of evening appointments is zero which in a way is reassuring but that position may change over the coming weeks.

Mrs J is worried about her health and is confining herself to the house unless it is absolutely necessary to gout out.

12. Dunteachin

Frightening times for us all. :(

13. Curae

Curae Star commenter

14. ms honey

ms honey Occasional commenter

It is like some weird bad dream, got to say I'm not relishing the thought of being surrounded by a class full of sniffly children who never cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze, despite constant reminders. I'm not bothered for myself but don't want to pass it on to family

15. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Worried about PCjr if it comes down to isolation all round. Her mental health won't remotely cope with that and she's living away from us. Mum has weakened immune system. Mr PC is likely to be on unpaid leave very soon, maybe tomorrow, and then redundant. Bleurgh.

16. Dunteachin

17. bookeater

bookeater Occasional commenter

At my school the water in the toilet area for handwashing is cold.
    I have taken in my own hand wash (can't get hold of antibacterial soap) as I'm allergic to the school hand wash.

I'm collecting in work to mark that may have the viral germs on. As has been said the pupils try to be good but we don't let them out to wash their hands after they have blown their nose or covered their mouth when they have coughed.

I have a disabled adult daughter and worry more about her medical supplies. She has a Personal Assistant (PA) and just hope she also stays well.

She has a number of hospital appointments coming up that are very important. I just hope we can continue with her appointments.

My son works in the NHS and I know he will come into contact with people with the virus.

I'm skimming the news, as it is too stressful just listening to the headlines.

Life has changed and will evolve as time goes on hopefully society will support each other.

18. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

If your husband were to catch the virus on your travels then, with COPD, he would be putting the NHS under further strain and possibly taking up a much needed ventilator. He could of course catch it if he stayed at home.

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Re this postcard thing: I've got plenty of spare time and could indeed support any elderly people (not round here where most of them are loaded and whose wealth will mitigate most problems apart from loneliness) but how do I know I'm not carrying the virus? I could volunteer in a hospital or a school but they probably wouldn't take me because I'm over 60, but why would they just let you in without testing you? I can do without the law of unintended consequences kicking in. I think there should be far more testing.

20. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

emerald52 likes this.