1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are you coping ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Curae, Mar 15, 2020.

1. vannie

vannie Star commenter

My son has severe allergies and asthma, my FIL is in a care home with advanced Alzheimers, my partner works as a barman and my daughter was due to get married in the first week of May. My sister in law is trapped in Florida. I'm surprisingly calm given my generalised anxiety.

bevdex, Alice K, bonxie and 5 others like this.
  2. Curae

Curae Star commenter

You are strong and resilient but if you want you can have a cry right here with us and its okay if not good.

3. Curae

Curae Star commenter

4. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Daughter 1 is fed up because she was due on Friday and she fears they'll want to induce her. She reckons she's forgotten how to do it. This is her third. Two people she knows have already had theirs despite their due dates being a bit after her so she's very envious.

Then daughter 2 is due in June. It's her first and she's having a miserable time of it.

And we all know how much daughters value their mothers telling them it's like shelling peas and just to get in with it. So I can really brighten their lives!

bevdex, silkywave, vannie and 7 others like this.
  6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Difficult to answer that question, given that around 80 million of them were dead by 1945 and many more would never be calm again.

What a ridiculous response to an otherwise supportive thread.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Mr Belle is in an at risk category.....over 70 with COPD (so well managed yoou wouldn't know he had it....not so much as a cough or wheeze).
    It is getting more worrying. I'm working at the mo, but the school I am in has a handle on this to the extent it is driving us mad! 3 times daily updates, checking on staff in 'at risk' groups, keeping students away with the slightest cough or sniff (parents are very compliant...maybe because its an indie, I don't know).
    But I remain positive.
    I'm keeping away from crowds (outside of school) as much as I can.
    Mr Belle is confined to Belle Towers.
    We wash our hands frequently and follow governement guidelines.
    But................I've always lived by the mantra of not wasting my time worrying about stuff that hasn't happened. I save my energy and only worry about stuff that has happened/is happening!
    We intend to go on holiday to Cape Verde next Sunday. There are no contraindications. If we can go then we will.
    In the mean time I shall be keeping calm and carrying on!

Alice K, TheoGriff, Curae and 5 others like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Really? :rolleyes:

Curae likes this.
  9. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My dad has a heart condition and is 84. My mum has early vascular dementia. I am reliant on my increasingly frail dad to look after her. It is mainly memory issues at the moment. My FIL has COPD and you can hear him wheezing, he is 81. My MIL is 3 years younger and has controlled high blood pressure. My sister has terminal breast cancer, well and stable at the moment. Both my son and I have mild asthma.I am trying not to think about what might happen to my relatively small family.
    I gave up teaching but now work in a hospital. My ward is very much at the front line, not directly treating corona, though it will eventually become endemic, but taking all the critically ill that ICU cant take. I am trying not to think about what it will be like. I have a chronic condition that causes problems with my back and joints and fatigue. I worry about how the increased work load will effect me and letting down my work colleagues if I have to take time off.
    I have always coped by keeping things in little boxes in my head. I hope I have enough boxes.
    I intend to go out walking in isolated areas.

10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I am NOT coping with my Mother who has just put the phone down on me . This is over Pension Credits and the TV licence. I was with her yesterday and am seeing her on Wednesday so I explained I would sort them BUT she insists on reading stuff over the phone and when I try to make sense of what she is saying she kicks off ...and unfortunately tonight so did I. Rant over

silkywave, Jamvic, smoothnewt and 6 others like this.
  11. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Read asthma uk

vannie likes this.
  12. Curae

Curae Star commenter

It happens. Im glad you shared this

13. Curae

Curae Star commenter

((((())))))
    Read asthma uk

14. Curae

Curae Star commenter

We will see

15. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

I’m totally with you. Doesn’t matter how many times I hear the theory of levelling the curve, each day I go in to my class of 29 coughers and sneezers I wonder what I’m taking home. I have already isolated myself from my 90 year old Dad. Tomorrow I’m going to try to sort his supplies (I’m PT) and wondering about dropping off and talking through the door. It’s awful. Then there are times when you look around and wonder who will be here in 6 months time and who not.

Jamvic, TheoGriff and smoothnewt like this.
  16. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I’m cross that the announcement about over 70’s self isolating came via leak from journalist Peston. We need daily press conferences from the PM. So many are worried.

tonymars, TheoGriff and smoothnewt like this.
  17. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I have parents of 87 ad 91. My 91-year-old father is not well anyway with heart problems - they can't give him more medication and he is always breathless and/or dizzy. I am very worried about him. They live about 20 miles away and don't drive (not that they would be going out anyway I know). Mum is good on the computer and has Ocado deliveries so I am not so worried about their shopping (although on my Asda deliveries quite a few things have been not available, but I think Ocado is a bit better as it comes direct from the warehouse).

However, I work (only a couple of days a week, but still) in a Primary school, am 64 and have asthma - I don't really like to visit my parents unless it's absolutely necessary because of the possible germs. I just don't know what to do for the best.

I know that schools closing will cause parents and supply staff all sorts of problems, but on the other hand I feel nervous every time I go in.

silkywave, Jamvic, TheoGriff and 2 others like this.
  18. Sally006

If they walk in I’d show them the door and tell them to p**s off! Can’t believe (or maybe I can) they would be so stupid and insensitive at this time. Most schools and staff are working round the clock to prepare for lockdown on top of a full day teaching. Can’t share the Liverpool sentiment though as in a household of ardent supporters and I do love our Jurgen!

19. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I find myself thinking the same. Our chorus has the usual complement of older ladies, including five over seventies. It's all feels very surreal. On one level life goes on pretty much as normal while on another everything is completely strange.

20. Sally006