1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are you coping ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Curae, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I tell you, round here mate, they'll be shouting from their top windows as I'm leaving for work "can you just bring us back some salmon and we're low on the Moet".

tonymars, bevdex and Curae like this.
  2. youmakemesmile

youmakemesmile New commenter

What a nice positive thread! Singing helps me. If I can't be in a choir right now - as much due to my toddler as to COVID-19 then maybe I can do a one person choir. There's a chap called David Wesley who has done a great YouTube channel where the songs are made up of different screens of him singing the different parts, then all played simultaneously. I think it's brilliant! Then he got a full choir to do it where each person was on one screen.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I don't think this thread is specifically about positivity. It's about how people are 'coping'.
    Some people won't be coping, especially in the coming weeks.

So, tales of positivity and encouragement; but, also a place where people can come for support.

caress, Lara mfl 05, Sally006 and 9 others like this.
  4. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Absolutely enjoy it indoors - unashamedly so !

We've enough misery outdoors !

5. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Absolutely both. We are here to share our tears fears and joys. We are STRONGER TOGETHER.

6. youmakemesmile

youmakemesmile New commenter

Totally agree with you both Dunteachin and Curae: positive because supportive.

7. Curae

Curae Star commenter

On here we are all ears. We will listen to your stories be they positive or not. Good luck and thanks for posting.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have managed to persuade my 76 year old mother to self-isolate. Fortunately my sister can take shopping to her. I have told her to phone me at any time. We also discussed that going out walking was fine.

There is a Facebook page for my little town. There are people organising names of anyone who needs support. Once the position with school is clear, I will offer any help I can.

It feels odd, with all of these plans being discussed, to be heading to work as normal tomorrow.

9. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

As a supply teacher, I am concerned about not getting paid if schools close. Because of a very unpleasant divorce, I no longer have any savings or lines of credit and will be able to keep going for about 3 weeks at the most.

I am fatalistic about the actual disease, however, and worry that I should be worrying more than I am but with no vaccine what can be done? I have diabetes and am prone to chest infections so I am continuing with my usual precautions to stay healthy. However, I am shocked and surprised by the number of people whips have suddenly decided that hand washing is a good thing. I take a thermos of water with me to the staff loo because the water is tepid, and I disinfect my desks but I can no longer fund tissues and hand sanitiser for my students as well as stationary supplies. Shouldn’t tissues etc be provided for every classroom at the moment? The number of students coughing and sneezing into their hands is disgusting.

I hope everyone here stays well.

10. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

I veer from thinking ‘sod it - there’s no point in worrying’ to extreme anxiety over my ICU nurse eldest daughter and my youngest, who is under the care of a cardiologist. I will have co-morbidity issues, should I contract the virus and I am no spring chicken anyway and my partner is asthmatic.

Anyway, we are on full Ofsted alert, so I’d better get back to rewriting my assessment policy and preparing for another week in school.

On the plus side, the sun is shining and there seems to be the distinct possibility that it won’t be Liverpool FC’s year after all;).

11. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Idiot alert! You’re telling people with diagnosed anxiety and depression to ‘keep calm’? Wow! That’s helpful.

12. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Senior commenter

There is splendid item on SOTT about how being outside helps to fight illnesses. It was one of the main treatments of Spanish Flu, Sick people were wheeled out on their beds. It a mixture of sunlight and fresh air - outside the air is sterile and helps in a lot of ways to defeat viral infections. So I shall be outside as much as I can, walking and gardening.

bevdex, Alice K, Lara mfl 05 and 7 others like this.
  13. letap

letap Occasional commenter

Thank god for the brave keyboard warrior.

Ivanhoe likes this.
  14. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Yes and one of the most effective ways of dealing with this in addition to any prescribed meds is talking listening and helping one another be it practical or emotional
    ((((((((())))))))))
    For all of you take care keep strong keep posting ... together we are stronger

15. Curae

Curae Star commenter

((((((((((())))))))))
    "For you for your family.
    God bless snd protect you all

Lara mfl 05 and cassandramark2 like this.
  16. Curae

Curae Star commenter

17. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Were supposed to be going away next weekend with all the children and grandchildren. Mr GW is 70 and he's been looking forward to it for months. One daughter is self isolating so can't go. So it's just deciding if the rest of us go.
    We would be ok if we needed to self isolate, we can garden and we've taken to doing jigsaw puzzles recently, of which we have many.
    But I do worry about my dad. He wouldn't cope being isolated for 3 months. He has no bank card only uses cash or cheques, does not drive or have internet. He's healthy and happy with his own company but it's tough to expect people to stay indoors for such a long time if it comes to that. I'm wondering if it would be better to bring him down here, but then would we all be on lock down then.? I certainly couldn't work from home for 3 months, couple of weeks, yes.

Hmm, tricky one.

silkywave, Alice K, TheoGriff and 2 others like this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

No change here really.

I'm still recovering post-op and sating in my super massage-bed binge-watching suits me down to the ground.

HM works away from home during the week but I'd asked her to work from home this week as I'm not ready yet to be "left". And the way things are going that probably will have to be acceptable to her employers anyway! (Self-employed IT contractor kinda person). Do they really want her trolling up and down to Brighton through London and on the tube and numerous trains? Really?

Bit selfish of me though. Stay home, darling! Wait on your post-op cancer-wife and bring her lots of herbal teas! Stay glued to your computer all day and punctuate that with a bit of running up and down the stairs!

So. Fine by me. I have no desire to inflict myself on anyone else and find visitors tiring plus am (as an only child) absolutely skilled in the art of spending time alone. We shall see how HM copes! But she's only 50. Nothing to stop her going out if she wants.

19. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Please do inflick on TESSERS right here. You have been a fountain of knowledge for many esp on WPD
    For the time being
    ((((((())))))))

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ah, yes. I shall do my civic duty and bore (no, instruct) you all on how to sustain long periods of being confined to the home.

But, if schools are to close, what will be the nature of the WPDs?

Interesting!

Lara mfl 05 and TheoGriff like this.