1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are you coping ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Curae, Mar 15, 2020.

1. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

It is making me very anxious. I have spent the last few years living with and supporting a very close relative through tough and drawn out cancer treatment and it is a miracle she is still alive and we are blessed with each extra day. She is not cured and we are on watch and wait currently.

It’s the horror of knowing that after going through all that she could soon die of Covid-19. I also live with another close relative who is disabled and has asthma.

Tomorrow I go to school. The fact that school is still going on is the cause of my anxiety. If I bring the virus home with me (neither of them are now going out) and they die I will have to live with it.

BJ has school staff and their families as collateral damage. I live with two vulnerable people. I feel that in a few months time I will be alone. I’m crying now and just hope that when the isolation for over 70s come in I can stay at home as how can she be isolated if I’m at school all day. I’m going quietly mad to be honest. I can’t just take time off as I am the household breadwinner. I sincerely hope schools shut soon.

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Beach
    Allotment
    Walks
    Pub (outside!)
    Keeping child entertained.
    Wine
    Music
    Books
    Dog
    Cat
    Weekly football with mates. Hopefully.

Oh, work tomorrow...

Plenty of food from the allotment to keep me going. I live in a great little village and we are going to organise something to keep an eye on the vulnerable. I will be doing shopping runs and anything that people need doing.if they can't manage it themselves. I think we a re going to pull together, get stuck in and realise we all need each other much more than we thought we did.

tonymars, Alice K, emerald52 and 4 others like this.
  3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Very tough situation, smurphy6. I feel for you. These scenarios are being played out up and down the country.

It wouldn't be so bad if Covid was all we had to worry about. It's on top of everything else.

4. Dunteachin

That sounds ideal, Scintillant.

Alice K, Curae and Scintillant like this.
  5. Dunteachin

There was a woman in the pub, last night, who SNEEZED THREE TIMES! I wanted to smack her.

I gave her such a look.

She left shortly after.

6. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Read too much of the news yesterday and had a major wobble. Mr JessicaRabbit's business is feeling it - he has little work booked now and is self-employed. Had to tell 17 year old eldest that his weekend job at the local pub might be gone. In laws were coming to visit from France at the end of the month, now are not. My brother lives in Norway and his new business will not get off the ground as he is home looking after his kids as his wife is the main breadwinner. Every one of us will have similar stories to tell. Trying to not let it show in front of the children is really hard. When I read about the UK death toll doubling yesterday I was with the youngest and I couldn't help but react.

Today I have put my phone away and will be positive. This is not forever. Tomorrow I will go to school and teach as normal. As a human race we need to change the way we live, our priorities, our behaviour. No more jumping on a plane whenever we feel like it for a while. No more thinking only of ourselves. No more grabbing 85 bags of pasta in the supermarket. Let's look after our elderly and each other a bit more, and not just ourselves.We will survive, and maybe we will be a little bit better for it.

7. Scintillant

I think lots of us will be doing it. I hope so anyway. At times like these, we see people's true nature. Some will be the panic buying hording ******** but there will be a hell of a lot of people who step up and look out for others in their local areas. I think it will bring us together as communities more and hopefully might even save some lives.

[​IMG]

George_Randle, Curae and ms honey like this.
  8. ms honey

ms honey Occasional commenter

I think obviously we're all concerned, and most of us will consciously alter our behaviour, but we have to, try to, fight it with positivity, no point worrying about what might happen, Mr H and parents are all In at risk categories, and I'm supply so probably won't get a penny if I'm I'll or school's close . If I can't work I'm going to go back to writing my unfinished stories or reading the books I haven't had time to read

9. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

I am a 1940 birth. I do just recall going to school in 1944 and things were difficult though the bombing was much less than previous years by then. I also recall very well the Asian Flu pandemic of 1957. Schools did not close but school fixtures were cancelled. Library books were fumigated on return but I suspect library visits are far less today. Every day I go for a 3-4 mile walk in the countryside and breathe in as much fresh air as I can. Ironically my doctor in the local GP surgery who looks after the over 70s is herself of a similar age. She continues to work though I understand the surgery is very much quieter these last few weeks!

10. Scintillant

That must be worrying for you.]]

You can always check in here for some online support. I know it's not much but it might help a little.

Hopefully schools will close quickly and we can get on with keeping everyone safe.

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I was doing well in combating the anxiety and depression that is a constant in the background. I’ve had some bad bouts and been unable to function for periods of time.

My regime of exercise, spending time with friends, doing crafts, has been very helpful. Now that’s been stopped, I’m struggling. There will be an epidemic of mental ill health for a long time to come.

I am retired and have asthma and really feel that those of us past retirement age will be regarded as expendable and sacrificial. I hate it.

Alice K, emerald52, TheoGriff and 3 others like this.
  12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It was a bit of a surprise to work out that MrA and I are The Oldest People in our street by ten years. The Pakistani family over the road have an elderly AP living with them but the daughter is a SAHM so able to look after her.
    My son is wondering why he's going to such trouble to keep his children and himself safe when his asthmatic missis still has to go to a germy primary school. ATM, she keeps a dressing gown in the porch and strips her work clothes off, bags them up, sanitises her hands and takes a shower as soon as she gets in. If I had asthma, wild horses wouldn't drag me into a Primary school.

caress and TheoGriff like this.
  13. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Asthma uk

14. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

I’m doing the same. Strip off as soon as I get in and shower. I have also got a tabard that I’m going to wear all day at school over my clothes and take off before I leave. That way any droplets that might be on my clothes will mostly stay at school. I’m also doing what the hospital staff all do and be ‘bare to the elbow’ I remember discussing it with a chemo nurse. I shall wear short sleeved tops only from now on. Bugs last on the skin for up to ten minutes and so can be washed off while bugs on full sleeves stay on full sleeves so all hospital staff nationally have to be bare to the elbow and no watches as this means better hand hygiene and infection control. This uniform requirement was placed by the nhs in 2009 I think or there abouts.

I will wash my arms up to the elbow before leaving school then use a tissue to press the exit button.

I’m also not touching books. Peer making and reading things out and looking but they can tick their own with my permission or write the feedback I tell them themselves.

15. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Just rung my 80 year old mum to talk about self-isolation. She has absolutely no intention of doing anything of the sort. She says she was on the bus yesterday with "everyone coughing and spluttering". I'm beyond furious with her. How selfish! She couldn't understand that she herself could be putting more vulnerable people in danger. Livid. I only wanted to offer to do an on line shop for her.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The village archive I have spent some time looking through recently shows that it really wasn't all stiff upper lip and carry on as normal, that's partly a myth viewed through rose tinted heroic specs. People were often scared.

There's one particular story of someone terrified that there was a German paratrooper hiding in the hedge which when her son later returned home was found to be a bit of old sheet blowing in the wind. There are many instances of over-reaction from all sorts of people.

I'm not convinced that pull-yourself-together type "advice" is of any value at all.

17. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

The advice about over 70s is different in Scotland apparently. There they are to be told to reduce social contact but otherwise be sensible, self-isolation is not deemed practical. Once again commonsense appears to be lacking in different parts of the country.

18. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Being self employed I have to keep going out to work so I can pay the monthly bills. Being at home all the time wouldn't bother me one bit. I'd be in my element. When I lived on the eighth floor of the tower block I only went out twice a fortnight for a period of three and a half years. It was bliss.

I could happily be at home for the next year. I have over thirty cans of furniture polish, at least forty dusters, a load of vacuum cleaner bags, bottles of bleach and bathroom and kitchen cleaner. I have a vacuum cleaner, a hand vacuum cleaner and a dual vacuum cleaner and carpet cleaner. I've got mops and several mop heads. I have paint for the interior walls, no end of tools, paintbrushes, cloths etc.

I've got all the materials for about ten projects from sanding down pine chairs to filling photo albums. I've thousands of books to give a good dust and order alphabetically and chronologically, and stereo speakers to sort out. I've no end of things to do.

If I can go outside I could spend a month on outdoor projects and another month on the car detailing everything.

I certainly wouldn't be bored. Everywhere I look I've jobs to do and the tools and materials ready to do them.

Time off work would be wonderful, but I have to go out to work for the money. I've probably got enough food for a month and enough tobacco and papers for about two months. I've hundreds of CDs, DVDs, thousands of digital movies and albums and hundreds of books yet to read.

And none of the above relates to Coronavirus. This is how I live. I think ahead all the time. I'm future-proofed. Saying this, I will probably be wiped out before I can do anything.

I'm the ideal candidate for isolation. No partner, no kids, no responsibilities at all.

I checked on my eighty-seven year old neighbour this morning. He's fine and has always been well prepared.

If the government demands everyone over seventy self-isolates at home there will be ninety percent of this village at home.

I'm sixty in August so I can't join the enforced isolation. I suppose my landlady won't be able to come and throw me out because she's over seventy and won't be able to travel.

Next week I'm off to the wholesalers for a couple of drums of cooking oil in case I can't get fuel for the car.

19. Curae

Curae Star commenter

https://www.asthma.org.uk/

If you suffer from even mild asthma please take extra special care esp if over 50 yrs of age.

Keep strong!

TheoGriff and border_walker like this.
  20. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Now that's what I call unashamed positivity... keep posting here.

Ps My best bit about your post was you checking in on the elderly neighbour.
    Bravo to you!

tonymars likes this.