1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are you coping ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Curae, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I think might just have come with age anyway, DIFF. It's been several years now that I've been swerving anything I'd only be attending out of a misplaced sense of duty. If I dont fancy it or just CBA, I don't go anymore.

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I do miss my chorus a lot, but they're like a second family. Other than seeing family I'm happy with my own company.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Earlier today I stood with Mrs MSB on the opposite side of the road to one of her close friend's houses, watching a hearse take the lady's late husband off to the cematorium. He died at 67 from non-Covid causes, having been seriously impaired by a stroke three years ago, but of course none of the inner circle of six close friends could attend the service to support his widow. They've all pulled together entertaining grandkids and providing food for afterwards, but an essential part of helping her through the the grieving process is missing. Mrs MSB has had to do all this at a safer distance than the others, so it's been hard for her. They're proposing a socially distanced garden gathering of all seven friends once the formalities are done with and the children and grandchildren have gone home, the flowers have withered and the real impact of the loss hits home. At some point we have to emerge from our bunkers to get on with important stuff in life, and as much as our health matters to us I can't rightly stand in the way of that. In other respects we're remaining cautious and adapting our lifestyle.

4. Doitforfree

That's sad, MSB.

My husband's uncle died in suddenly in May. There are now only four of the original eleven siblings left alive. His unmarried aunt was particularly hard hit having also lost her close sister, my mother in law, in January. She lives alone and is coping well generally, but sounded so lonely after the death of her brother.

butties likes this.
  5. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

I went to school for the meeting and it was fine. We went through the plans for September and they are very thorough ( with the caveat that it might all change). Not only will I be allowed to wear a mask if I feel I need to, but I was also offered a visor if that made me more comfortable.

I left feeling a lot more positive and a lot less anxious.

6. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

Oh that is very reassuring for you fgt. Glad you braved the meeting and your anxieties allayed.

7. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Lovely full of much needed positivity

8. Doitforfree

I feel hopeless and despairing today. There's is no good news, only worse and worse reports from round the world, and dire predictions about what will happen here. I don't understand why we're being encouraged to go out more when it's so dangerous that we suddenly need to wear face masks, but not in pubs and restaurants which are clearly more hazardous than shops. I know it's for the economy, but that should be made explicit. The mixed messages are ridiculous. Boris is now saying go to work even if you can work perfectly well from home. So, basically, take risk so you can spend £3 at a shop in town buying lunch. And stuff the environment and throw everything away and use your car and pollute as much as you can because... Covid

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I hope you feel less despairing tomorrow.

Lalad likes this.
  10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I think we're all despairing! It's all too much!

My son's wedding venue is still under the illusion that 120 people can gather together for a knees-up in October. They won't let him postpone! It's going to get nasty...

And I have had a letter to say an uposcopy is on the horizon.

And lots of other shytte going on that I won't bore you with

11. Doitforfree

Feel free to share! It's not boring.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Does seem you have a fair bit on your plate Dunty:(

bombaysapphire likes this.
  13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

But, I keep smiling.:)

14. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Diff, the predictions you speak of are projections of possibilities, not predictions. What is to be gained by you from taking such a miserable forecast as read?

sounds like you're having a wobble to me.

15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

A wobble you will be able to defeat, I'm sure. Courage, mon brave!

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We're all allowed a wobble or two - there's no vaccination for that.

17. Doitforfree

I'm having a massive wobble. I think it's just lots of things that have come together at once.

18. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's allowed too.

I think with the 'threat' of a second wave in the Autumn I'm slightly more worried now than in the height of the last curve, when evetything was **** down. Doing another lockdown in the miserable autumn/winter weather will be an entirely different thing and the thought of not being able to visit family for Christmas . . . .:(

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My bigger fear is that people will visit, they will party, they will shop. God knows what this country will be like in January.
    Sorry, that hasn't exactly lightened the mood!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

A shadow of its former self? It's going to be carnage.
    I think you are just being realistic. It's important to follow the SAS's 7 Ps: Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents P1ZZ Poor Performance.
    When I think about the future, my future, and make decisions/plans, I 'factor in' the high probability that we will be in another lock down from October to December.
    And if it doesn't happen, so much the better.