1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How Are You Bringing Poetry to Life

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by JosieWhitehead, Feb 23, 2018.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

HOW ARE YOU BRINGING POETRY TO LIFE IN YOUR CLASSROOM?

Children from an early age have "poetry" in the National Curriculum. Poetry can be words that are simply listened to by a child or these words can have music added to them. I am a children's poet, known in classrooms worldwide. I recommend parents and children to do lots of LISTENING to poems well ahead of reading or writing. In fact, having a five minute gap in a busy day in both nursery school, primary school and even secondary school, where you simply listen to a good poem, is excellent for children. Some of my poems for younger children have had music written for them, and are sang as well as spoken. Children love this. Learning by heart and reciting along with the voice recording helps them well with spoken English, and teaches them to put expression into their performance. I'd love to hear from you which things really help your children most re poetry and I'd love to hear of ideas that you've used in your class for the important job of teaching poetry. I do make skype visits to classrooms worldwide, but, sad to say, some of the performances I've seen have been sadly lacking, With heads down a line of children will mumble into a piece of paper and often I do not know which poem they're reading (not reciting) until halfway through. How can we improve this?