1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how are you assessed on PGCE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by missjpea, Aug 15, 2011.

1. I am intrigued! I start my PGCE this September at The University of Manchester, and was just wondering - how exactly are we assessed? I know there are the QTS tests, but other than that what does assessment entail? Is it essays/reports/case studies etc...?
    Jen X

2. For the academic part - mainly on your assignments.
    For school experience/teaching etc - at the end of each placement by your school mentor, with input from your uni tutor where appropriate.
    There are other 'directed tasks' you have to complete, but they don't normally form part of your final assessment (whether you are awarded PGCE and recommended for QTS). Also there may be 'audits' to guage your subject knowledge, but again it's for your own reflection and target-setting rather than forming part of your final marks.

3. Caroline_p3

Caroline_p3 New commenter

assignments (essays and projects)
    school experiences files, and assessments made on lesson observations with this coming together to form end of term reports by your mentor. Graded 1-4

4. Assessment requirements will vary from place to place, but most providers use a mix of formal assignments (at M level and/or H level) as well as formal observation and reports on your day to day teaching by your school based mentor and your university tutor. The assessment process should be explained and outlined by your tutors and in the PGCE handbook that will be given to you at the start of the course.
    James

5. Thankyou all for your replies! Sounds intense but I can't wait to get started....only 2 weeks to go!

Jen x