1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are you all?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by dozymare1957, Aug 29, 2015.

1. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I hardly ever come on TES now. TBH I just never seem to have the time.

I've been doing three jobs to try to get the income up and have been totally exhausted.

I've now given up one job but still working in the day as a TA and I have lodgers too. During the hols I've been teaching foreign language students and also .... wait for it ....

BAKING! LOL Yes honestly.

It turns out that the kids who come to learn English also want to do some traditional English baking. I have run three sessions. Two were fantastic but one was a bit of a disaster. I explained about teaspoons and tablespoons for measuring things like baking powder and showed them my set of measuring spoons, clearly explaining which one was needed. It seems that one girl wasn't listening. I was helping another to grease and line tins when the baking powder went in. Another girl questioned the measure (but in German so I didn't hear) but Little Miss Baking Powder Adder insisted that she was right.

We watched in horror as two volcanoes erupted in my oven! Of course there was no cake left for them to eat!

I have since had my oven professionally cleaned as part of the extended warranty [​IMG]

Hope this gives you all a laugh and that you are all well and happy.

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

hello Dozy-welcome back! Your baking workshop sounds like good fun. Well done! A little bird told me that you now make a mean lemon drizzle cake.

3. dozymare1957

Indeed it is very mean and gives me heartburn!

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

*waves to Dozy*

:)

6. dozymare1957

*waves back to Belle

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Lovely to see you Dozy. I am currently broken in the knee area. I feel fine in myself though. Six weeks of seriously restricted movement to get through. Tomorrow we are going to try going out for lunch to stop me from going too stir crazy!

8. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Dozy! Hello!

I can't believe you're not teaching your students 101 ways with sausages ;)

9. dozymare1957

Hi BS Look after yourself and don't break anything else

10. dozymare1957

Hi Cosmos

Bless them they want to bake. I have to show them how to bake Victoria sandwich and Edwardian Cut Rounds (like scones but not so sweet which Germans prefer)

11. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Hello Dozy!

12. dozymare1957

13. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Spoken like a true expert - cannot quite believe how far you have come, Dozy! Can you remember when we talked you through making chilli con carne for the first time?

Hope you and your family are well. X

14. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Dozeeee - hi [​IMG]

15. dozymare1957

Hi Forex and Kitty

Yes Forex I will ever forget the first chilli. When I opened that tin of kidney beans and saw the blue gloop I didn't know what to do.

I quite like baking and bizarrely I can actually make cakes that taste good

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

Welcome back dozy and all other autumn returnees.

Fingers crossed for a touch of Indian summer next week...

17. dozymare1957

Hi Inky. Thanks for the welcome.

Indian summer? Fat chance! LOL More like this [​IMG] I fear

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Hi Dozy, I had a great summer working at Eastbourne College, off for a break tomorrow, we must get together soon, haven't seen you for ages.

19. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Dozy!!! I had a similar baking disaster after attempting Nigella's chocolate loaf cake. Disaster. The row that followed wasn't pretty either.

Good to "hear" from you x

20. dozymare1957

BIzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy How's tricks?

Lapin, yes we must meet up although I'm back at school now so limited on time.