1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how are these things decided?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by claire_owen, Jan 26, 2011.

1. I would like a few opinions on whether I am being too sensitive about this or not as I do have a tendency to compare myself to others and be quite sensitive.
    Anyway, I went into a school today which I have been in quite a few times and thought I had a good relationship with. I was pre-booked and the school requested me by name according to the agency. I get on well with all the staff and have been pre-booked a few times when returning my visitors badge to the office at the end of the day.
    However, I discovered that they have another supply there who they have offered work to very wednesday morning to cover Maths booster. I don't know how long this is for but when I asked her about it she said was asked to do it before xmas (not sure who by) and that she had been there quite a few times before and said yes when I asked if she was asked my name to do it. However, the TA said she had only started there in Sept and hadn't been in much. I just wonder why they offered it to her over me and feel like maybe I am second choice at that school now, rather than first. I did have a bit of a disasterous lesson in terms of timing and what the kids got done in front of two TA's so think maybe they recommended her instead. I thought about asking the head but maybe that's a bit funny, maybe she was just there at the right time and did one half day covering the Maths boosters and then they asked her to do the rest. I am worried now that if anything longer term comes up she'll get it over me.
    I do wonder how it all works sometime, as I used to go to some schools regularly who I know think I am good and were asking for me by name and now I haven't been back for ages. Just when Ithink I am making progress something happens. I never seem to have the 'luck!' Or maybe I am just being paranoid?

2. I would like a few opinions on whether I am being too sensitive about this or not as I do have a tendency to compare myself to others and be quite sensitive.
    Anyway, I went into a school today which I have been in quite a few times and thought I had a good relationship with. I was pre-booked and the school requested me by name according to the agency. I get on well with all the staff and have been pre-booked a few times when returning my visitors badge to the office at the end of the day.
    However, I discovered that they have another supply there who they have offered work to very wednesday morning to cover Maths booster. I don't know how long this is for but when I asked her about it she said was asked to do it before xmas (not sure who by) and that she had been there quite a few times before and said yes when I asked if she was asked my name to do it. However, the TA said she had only started there in Sept and hadn't been in much. I just wonder why they offered it to her over me and feel like maybe I am second choice at that school now, rather than first. I did have a bit of a disasterous lesson in terms of timing and what the kids got done in front of two TA's so think maybe they recommended her instead. I thought about asking the head but maybe that's a bit funny, maybe she was just there at the right time and did one half day covering the Maths boosters and then they asked her to do the rest. I am worried now that if anything longer term comes up she'll get it over me.
    I do wonder how it all works sometime, as I used to go to some schools regularly who I know think I am good and were asking for me by name and now I haven't been back for ages. Just when Ithink I am making progress something happens. I never seem to have the 'luck!' Or maybe I am just being paranoid?

3. Best to avoid being to sensitive in this game. Also dialogue between supply teachers when in school is very very sensitive. I like seeing my supply colleagues and have my 'little chats', here and there.
    However I simply reflect on my own performance and have in my head that the game can be like Russion Roulette.
    I lose - when the school may have found a cheaper agency.
    I lose - when maybe there has been a HOD changeover and they have simply liked someone else when they have been in when I have been somewhere else. New HOD who has not seen me has another supply and says book that one seems ok, nobody about to say anything different.
    I win sometimes. - was in a school and chatted with a supply I knew from another school. Where have you been recently he asks? I say such and such a school last week. HIs face goes sour, 'But I am their first choice', he says. To deflect the agro, I say well it was a subject booking not general. Oh he says that's Ok then. It was general, so even honest me will have to say, do not believe what even your fellow supply tells you.
    Sometimes I am flavour of the month and sometimes I am not.
    Rough game the supply game. Not for the faint hearted.
    But a game plan for this is always find out which agencies your fellow supply are working for. If you are working for a really good agency then share intelligence with the agency. If say, you feel another supply is in the same school with another agency (and that agency you know is naff) then your good agency will like to know which other agencies are in the school.
    If I am working for a naff agency then I do not share intelligence, as I wish the naff agencies would go away, I want my good agencies to get the work!

4. thanks for the reply, I do feel better now. It's swings are roundabouts I think and sometimes there doesn't seem to be a reasonable way things are organised. Like you said I've been booked over others before too so guess shouldn't worry. I think you could spend a long time trying to analyse it all and it could drive you mad.
    There does seem to be a que of people for any long-term jobs and PPA times in schools and I guess many schools like to have a few people not just one going there. Guess quite a lot of it is down to the agency too. I would love to be one of those lucky people who are in the right place at the right time.

5. Thing is my response was very much the secondary view, perhaps you are primary, so maybe my lines are not so useful.
    However how much the game has changed in the secondaries!
    What cheeses me off in the secondary game. A few years ago, headteachers and their management team would be in school and in classrooms wanting to know who was about. A bit of informal performance management if you like. They would ask me what I thought of this and that and even share some of their views with me about supply teaching.
    I have not chatted to a headteacher for two years!
    I was in school last week. I followed the subject instructions (which were quite good, out of my subject but good)
    I did the work in the students exercise books. The exercise book page I did was quality. I looked back at the previous work done before and it was rubbish.
    The exercise books were returned to the shelf. The teacher was out for a week on CPD.
    There was no way in any shape or form that the good lesson I achieved would be noticed by anyone and attributed to me!
    It is likely that the classroom subject teacher comes back and thinks there was a good CS in on that day.
    However I left notes saying they were a good group and did good work and signed it off with my name and supply in brackets.
    But amongst all the dross which was about after a few days I do not think my note will be noticed.

6. hey. I know what you mean! I am primary but in terms of being asked back etc I think it's probably about the same. Although, I do find in the majority of primary schools someone does ask you how you got on and sometimes the head comes in to check you out too. However, most of the time you're on your own and so there is no way anyone would know if you were bad or good. even if you do have a TA it would take that TA to go especially to recommend you, which has happened to me a couple of times but only the 'savy ' ones would do this.

7. Yep but if we are relying on TA's and in secondary the CS's well there can be agendas which have nothing to do with our teaching and the learning of our teaching groups.
    As a secondary supply I am not a happy bunny.
    In secondary, CS's are hardly going to spread the good word. Some are militant and some are OK.
    My issue, is the feeling of not having a voice at all anymore in school. Wether the CS's are militant or not.
    In secondary if the Supply Co-ordinator is a senior CS, well not good at all.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There's little point trying to second guess the internal politics. To quote a bit of Webster (way back from when I studied 'A' Level) "We are merely the stars' tennis balls, struck and bandied which way please them" (or words to that effect).

I have one school where I always get greeted like an old friend but have had very little work in since September. I have another where one CS always has a pleasant greeting for me and helps me out, and another CS (whom I once helped to end a classroom fight) who's hardly exchanged a word with me since. Schools change, staffing changes, priorities change, spending changes, absence patterns change, people change. No point agonising over it.

I chat politely with other Supply staff but generally keep it superficial, unless it's someone I know from when I was full-time. Let's be honest, we're all competing with each other, but I see no reason to be snotty about it.

9. This is interesting - the fact that others worry the way I do - I am new to supply but experienced in temp jobs a few years ago. I have found a niche in a school that asks by name for me but they have too few days to offer so i shall have to take the block work offered elsewhere by another agency: it is a shame but you take whatever is offered.
    The only time other STs spoke to me it was to reveal bad habits of the school in the way they treat supply staff and I appreciated that but quickly learned not to discuss such issues with the agency who booked the work as they became defensive and it was immediately evident that their client was the school and I was supposed to be grateful for the opportunity to attend and was not even complaining!
    Supply work certainly hones your BM skills as the attitude you mentioned is definitely passed to the students: my attempts to actually teach classes are often met with surprise so I think the permanent staff assume they are simply hiring CS for the day. That might be why some are disappointing in the "work" they leave.
    This week was good though: a new school for me with fabulous, well behaved kids in Years 7 to 11 and a return to a favourite with hours of good natured if not perfect students. Supply is not paying enough but the real jobs are evaporating rapidly and it has certain benefits: no matter how difficult the little angels were, I can leave as soon as the last period ends and I will not have to spend the weekend planning or marking.
    Of course next week will see me longing for a job that demands the planning et al but this weekend is looking good.