1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How are people responding/adapting to the current CV endemic?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by stopwatch, Mar 15, 2020.

?

How much have you changed your daily routine as a result of the current situation?

1. Not at all

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Slightly changed

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. Greatly changed

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Completely changed

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. Continually changing as the situation develops

18 vote(s)
    52.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

There is already a Coronavirus thread on 'Personal', but I thought that it might be worth putting one on here to see how people are in retirement.
    It seems to be a rapidly changing situation with new advice and information coming out every day. The latest, this morning, is the possibility of over 70s being asked to self isolate for, potentially, a number of months.

We have certainly changed our habits as follows:
    • Cancelled at least 4 things we were going to do, which would have brought us into contact with large groups (eg a trip to London, a trip to an antiques fair etc)
    • Shopping weekday, early morning, when the supermarket is a lot quieter
    • Mixing, occasionally, only with a small number of people - mainly my brother and a couple of friends, who themselves only come into contact with a small number of people.
    • Restricting out of the house activities to walking during the day, away from people and going to the allotment.
    • Other than this, staying in the house
    We started this approach about 10 days ago, on the basis that we could see it rapidly escalating - which it has.

Our local street has collated a list/register of potential helpers for those who may have to self isolate and have put a flyer into every household. This offers various things, mainly shopping, but also a regular phone call to check how people are.

I don't think that we are over-reacting, based on what information is being given out.

So......... how about you/

2. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

DH is an octogenarian with underlying health issues, so I'm quite worried.

He agreed not to go out yesterday, but his idea of compromise today was to go out to our usual cafe today, but earlier - in order to make it easier to distance ourselves.

I did a day's supply last week and was asked back but have declined - I explained that I'm not prepared to put my husband at risk. (One kid was doing the coughing and grinning routine and a member of staff had a bad cough, though I believe the latter has been given the all clear by the medics.)

3. Lidnod

Lidnod Senior commenter

When you are in a vulnerable group, by reason of age and underlying health problems, I think it makes sense to make changes. Sadly, self isolating means not seeing the family and I do especially grieve over not seeing my little grandson. I am trying to keep up with legitimate medical news and it is concerning that certain medications seem to exacerbate the disease.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

This is what we're doing at the moment:

• Avoiding any social interactions not already committed to (went to theatre last week as tickets bought months ago; won't be buying any more etc);
    • No eating out or going to cinema;
    • No handshaking/kissing etc;
    • Keeping larder stocked up (not stockpiling, but topping up more regularly than usual);
    • Cancelled holiday (Spain tomorrow) and day trip to Paris later this month;
    • No holidays booked (had planned to go on a couple later this year);

stopwatch, eljefeb90 and Lidnod like this.
  5. Lidnod

Lidnod Senior commenter

All wise moves, I am sure.I find myself increasingly anxious so I am making a deliberate effort to focus on the lighthearted and comforting.

6. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I have been in Tenerife for the last eight days and it has been a surreal experience seeing the island close down bit by bit. The beaches were closed on Friday and bars and restaurants all closed on Saturday . The Canarian regional president is aiming for zero tourists over the next two months, which is incredible given tourism's importance in the islands.
    I went out this morning for the first time in three days to shop. I took my place in an orderly queue keeping two metres apart. One person went in and one came out. There seemed little evidence of panic buying , although beer stocks were low! Everyone is supposed to stay in except for essential trips and police and civil defence are manning check points .
    My brother is a journalist in Italy and he left me in no doubt that this is for real, a potential living nightmare. Forget business as usual for a few months and let's minimise contacts.

Lidnod and stopwatch like this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Choir has gone, including two concerts. Lunch out after Wednesday Walk will go but we might still go walking - we can keep a safe distance imo. Holiday to N Italy in June still booked but not really likely to happen. A few extra things in the cupboard and will continue to keep stocked up. Husband will drop singing group I think and the charity he belongs to will cut back activity I expect. As for our fairly active social life I cant think what will happen. On a good day I'd be happy to sit in the garden at a distance and share a bottle of wine but our friends may not agree. Husband may still golf but not stop for lunch. We are still mulling these things over. Went to my Italian class this pm but I think the teacher will cancel next week. She comes from Milan and is very anxious.
    I'm sure some people will say I should do more. I am still thinking it through.

stopwatch likes this.
  8. Lidnod

Lidnod Senior commenter

Difficult choices at the moment, until choice is taken away from us. It all seems so unreal.

9. asnac

asnac Established commenter

It may have affected my retirement plans - was going to go in summer next year, but this was based on paying off my mortgage with my shares...

For now, the key impact is that school has closed, I have to teach the kids online: this + my whole non-school life of gym, local political meetings, church, daily shopping - all gone.

I live alone, so there is no one for me to get on the nerves of, or vice versa.

10. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

"It may have affected my retirement plans - was going to go in summer next year, but this was based on paying off my mortgage with my shares"

Sorry to hear that. Things might recover a bit when the end of the crisis approaches, it it could take a few years. It's a salient lesson for those with investments as you approach retirement though. Three or four years before you're going, it's a sensible idea to move out of riskier investments like shares and into safe and boring places, like fixed term bonds, to avoid any crash caused by wars, politics or indeed diseases. Protect what you have, don't invest for the future at this time.

11. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

We have been getting better over the last month or so in Hong Kong. Schools were due to open again on 20th April, however the upsurge in cases in the UK, Europe and US have caused many people to return and the last few days things have taken a steep upturn.

I’m semi retired (part time) and both me and the wife were due to retire and return to the uk in July.

well, we are still retiring but whether we can come home is to be seen.

so far cancellations have included trips to japan, Taiwan, Vietnam and our planned journey back to the uk overland.

we are still free to go out here and restaurants and bars are open. However, I feel that may change soon. People here are seemingly much more responsible than n the UK. Mask wearing is the norm outside and I believe it really helps. A few numpty western expats so spoil it for some though.

I’ve not been into school since January so getting used to the quieter life but still teaching 3 days a week online.

getting out for a hike up a mountain now. Enjoying freedom while we can.

Lidnod likes this.
  12. surf kitty too

surf kitty too Occasional commenter

I am retiring end of this term....at 55.
    But its all gone a bit Pete Tong!

I was actually off ill for a few days, went back into school last week, but by then all our pupils had been sent home. I cleared my desk.....
    All our teachers are working from home setting work etc, but I am only keeping in the loop a bit by checking emails and finishing pupil reports. Not much else I can do, my replacement is setting the actual school work.
    We are in the process of selling our house here, no viewings at all.
    We are buying a house abroad, were supposed to be signing for it in Easter Holidays but we can't get there. We now have to pay mortgage etc here for much longer than originally planned on no income. We can cover it, but will be eating into our savings which was supposed to be our renovation budget for abroad. I really want to be there, not here!
    On the bright side, me and hubby are both off and home, and getting used to being together 24/7 which will be the case when we eventually get abroad...so far so good!

Lidnod and eljefeb90 like this.
  13. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

How unsettling! Where are you off to, just out of interest..?