1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How annoying is Kirstie Allsop?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cosmos, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Aaaaggghhh. I am watching her stupid homemade christmas show (serve me right) and frothing at the mouth at her smugness. How many of us have access to experts who can show us how to embroider napkins or gild a pear?
    Is this show designed to make us feel like failures if we don't? Sparkly glitter on mince pies? Kill me now! Who can afford all this anyway?

2. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Quite annoying.

But I still want to be her.

3. choochoo

choochoo New commenter

Relax - it is Christmas.

I think the point is that she is showing you how to do these things.

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

she is William Morris reborn without the innovative spark.
    so 5.3 on the S.I.Annoying scale.
    I still like her enthusiasm for tat though.

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

oooh I think she is fab! And I still like Phill [​IMG]

6. I love her enthusiasm for tat as well, but being shown how to do things that she has to get a range of experts in to do and things that are barely achievable in one's own home is VERY annoying.
    Ok. rant over. I expect my Christmas will not be blighted because I haven't decorated my turkey with pomegranates or put edible gold stars in my champagne. See, I've started again...

7. Guest

She is as annoying as Nigella Lawson. That is a very high benchmark.

8. Indeed, very smug. Though I think most of us want a little slice of that kind of life! Probably why she's so popular!

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Don't worry, pomegranates are so last year, deep-fried turkey is the thing this year. Only gold stars? Platinum surely?

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

11. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Me to! I want to be her, lol. Although I agree the programme with all the experts is a bit stupid. Just like the perfect home one they did... Give me Location Location anyday! x

12. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I really like her! Yes she uses expert on the show as she does everything 'larger scale' - pretty much all of it could be done at home though. Plus, its just interesting. Far better than stupid relaity tv stuff - at least I'm learning something while watching but not having to think too hard.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I haven't seen the Christmas one but I enjoyed "homemade home". Clearly you would need to have no life and an infinite budget to do it all but I am sure some crafty people picked up an idea that they liked. I thought the programme did a good job of advertising some local industries.
    I'd like to be her too, or Nigella.

14. I don't share her taste, but I like her 'philosophy' of mixing up things, using hand-crafted objects
    (as Lurk says 'William Morris' !) and recycling, especially doing up good quality but inexpensive furniture etc. She once got a mirror out of a skip!! ( There's lots of good stuff to be found in skips IME-you wouldn't believe what people throw away!)

15. Yes yes yes yes yes.
    Kirstie and Phil are a pair of smug bar stewards who urged the public to buy property 'for investment' and now insist they've done nothing wrong. The taxpayer must take a majority shareholding in them, as we did with the banks, and make them present Flog It and Jeremy Kyle.
    I doubt that's a problem for the Honourable Kirstie Allsopp.

16. Cosmos are you a teensy bit jealous? Perhaps you don't have a successful TV career and a house in North DEvon? (I am only guessing, mwah!).
    I don't particularly like her but I do love the knitted beach-themed draught excluder she did and I quite liked the etched glass she did the other day. Sadly my life is not quite so perfect as hers.

17. Oh yes, the house in North Devon.
    She now runs it as a holiday let so the whole series was a big promo for her lettings business.

18. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I just didn't get the premise of the show! She and Phil are supposed to be 'property experts' so they present this Christmas show. If she was presenting it then I could kind of understand it, because that would follow on from Homemade Home but why was Phil doing it as well? Have to admit that I turned off after about 10 minutes because I can't stand either of them.

19. I smell the stench of sour grapes.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'd never tire of slapping her.
    ...and there's no excuse for her dire taste in clothes.