1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How and When to resign

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by vanessajane3, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Hello,

I have just completed my NQT year however I had a really tough year and haven't really enjoyed myself or the people I work with.

I almost resigned on May 31st so I did not have to return in September as the thought literally fills me with dread and I don't want to get ill.

Anyway I didn't resign as I didn't have a job set up and being an adult I thought it silly to not have anything lined up before I resign.

Anyway over the summer I have found myself a job overseas taking a break from teaching for a year. The job is a January start as I know I have to work a terms notice.

WHEN WOULD YOU TELL SCHOOL ABOUT YOUR NEW JOB?

should I tell them straight away to give them plenty of notice or wait till closer the 31st October deadline to avoid being treated differently?

any advice on how to resign? - I'm literally terrified of telling them!

Any help and advice will be hugely appreciated!

2. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

You don't have to resign until October 31st but it

Is usually common courtesy to resign as early as possible so it gives the school time to recruit your replacement.

I would not advise going in on the first day in September and tell them that you will be leaving at Christmas because this will cause a sense of awkwardness for the next 4 months.

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Why? There is nothing to be terrified of. I'd wait until the second or third week of September and then do it.

4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Forgot to mention it in my original post, but I concur with Siegen 81to82. There are points in everyone's career where they do move on. HTs do know this. They will have done the same as you in their career- moving on to improve their prospects.

The HT is a human being just like you, not a robot!

5. larathegiraffe

larathegiraffe New commenter

"I'm literally terrified of telling them"

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines]

If you are going abroad to work, you will no doubt find challenges more demanding than resigning a job.

Presumably, the new job didn't require references from your current job, so your current place don't know you are going. Personally, I'd wait until say the beginning of October to resign, just in case the job you are going to falls through. This then gives the school enough time to find a replacement. This assumes, of course, that you will tell no one where you work and there won't be any rumours that you are off at Christmas, otherwise you might as well just get on with it and resign. One advantage of resigning as early as possible is that people tend to avoid including you in any work that involves strategic development or for a time scale after Christmas.

My last resignation letter read:

DATE

Dear Head

Please note I am resigning and will be leaving on the 31st December 2012.

Kindest regards

Mary Smith

If you feel the need, you can add a comment about how much you have enjoyed working at the school and the opportunities it has provided you with, and you feel the need to broaden your experiences.

After handing the letter to the Head's secretary, I then verbally told my HOD I'd just resigned, out of courtesy.

6. thank you I'll look to resign at the start of october

7. "Firstly, I'd think about growing a pair. If you are going abroad to work, you will no doubt find challenges more demanding than resigning a job. To be 'terrified' of resigning is IMHO pathetic."

thanks for your KIND words of support I didn't post this to be judged or belittled I posted for help. I have a hellish year and I had to grow some balls just to get through it thank you very much.

You don't know me or my situation I was merely seeking a bit of help and advice as a teacher on the brink of mental and emotional breakdown having been miserable for the last year. given my experiences have been far from positive you should understand I am likely to feel apprehensive and somewhat intimidated by SLT. I apologise for being human.

this is not the sort of response that was really needed. hope it made you feel a little better about yourself for calling somebody you don't know anything about pathetic.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I suggest that you use this template letter, Vanessa Jane. Early October is perfect timing - make sure that you tell your Head of Department or KS Co-ordinator the moment that you hand in the letter, so that they don't hear it second hand.

How to resign - get that resignation letter right!

Also, best not to get angry about what you consider on-screen discourtesy, and even better not to be discourteous in return . . . it just ups your stress levels, and you don't need that, by the sound of things!

You have got your NQT induction over successfully, so enjoy your time abroad, knowing that if you wish to return to teaching in the UK, you have the qualification to do so.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

You should not be afraid of informing the school of your resignation, people move on all the time and you are legally entitles to resign!

I don't think it will make TOO much difference when you do it. The latest is obviously Oct 31st (Don't do this though as the head will not be reading e-mails on half term most likely and then you have proper awkwardness!) People WILL treat you differently post they know you are resigning but its not entirely negative, expect a weird mix of 'oh, this does not apply to you,' (which is brilliant if it is a long task ) congratulations, jealousy. But mostly people will just get on with it.

I see what other people mean about not waltzing in and announcing it immediately, it may run against the tide of 'start of a new yearisheness.' I would go for late September?

10. larathegiraffe

larathegiraffe New commenter

"on the brink of mental and emotional breakdown"

You've been given v good advice to harden up. If you are in that state of mind, I'd think twice about going abroad.

11. frymeariver

frymeariver New commenter

My advice would be to go in at the start of term and arrange to see the head. Let them know that you have got another job and that - once all the details have been finalised and the job cannot fall through - you will be formally resigning. This is not your resignation it is simply keeping them informed so make that clear. Then they know that you are going and that they need to start thinking about recruitment. The head won't thank you for sitting on the information. If you are teaching a shortage subject, or recruitment is difficult in the area your school is located, then they may need to advertise more than once to find a replacement. Resign at the earliest point possible so that they are free to appoint.

12. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you need a visa or anything, do make sure that's all through before resigning.

13. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

'My advice would be to go in at the start of term and arrange to see the head. Let them know that you have got another job and that - once all the details have been finalised and the job cannot fall through - you will be formally resigning.'

I would respectfully disagree with this! IF your overseas job has not been 'finalised' in such a way that it can;t fall through - don;t even mention resigning just in case it does! (unless its now late October.) If it did fall through and you mentioned resignation you will be in an awkward position.

LTG - I think you are being unduly harsh on the OP. Your harshness makes you sound like an aspiring SLT of the worst kind!

14. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

That seems the best compromise to me. When you do hand in your letter and tell your line manager, don't mention that you have known since the summer; let them assume that it has only lately been confirmed.

Congrats on the job by the way. I'm sure it will be very refreshing to get out of your current uncongenial position.

15. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I don't think Lgt was totally wrong with what they said, I would say rather than growing a pair the op's fear comes from inexperience.

1) make sure everything is final before you resign. Yes, give them as much time as possible to find a replacement, but unless you are going to resign regardless, and you have intimated this might be the case, hold fire.

2) It is no slight on you, but you seem to think they will be angry? I doubt it. People come and go. Management are used to it! No disrespect,but I doubt you are indispensable. Few are! Just be upfront. If they are a but awkward, you are leaving in a few months anyway. Like I say though I doubt it. The only time they may be is if you spring it on them last minute or something. Did they not know you had gone for an interview?

3) I would tell them as soon as you are crystal clear that you are going. Preferably though at least a few weeks before resignation deadline at the latest.

16. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Seems odd that the new job didn't want a reference, thus school would know?

17. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Not really, the OP's new job is away from teaching and it might be experiences the OP has from other roles are more relevant for it. I didn't use any teaching references for a recent job I applied for but chose to use a referee from from some voluntary charity work I do.

Just as schools are not really interested in any non-teaching work experience a candidate might have and there is no reason to suggest a non-teaching employer will have much interest in a candidate's teaching skills.

18. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Many employers are interested in at least getting a reference from the applicant's previous job. Teaching skils may not be relevant, but all the usual stuff on work ethic, reliability etc is.

To answer the original question, I would resign as soon as the new job is definite. You may not have liked all of your colleagues, but I would still think it best to give the school a good chance of replacing you. You can, of course, resign at the last possible moment, but I wouldn't.

Good luck. I hope that your fears about resigning are unfounded.