1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How about we discuss mundane stuff again on the Personal Forum?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Who among you was grateful for getting a set of pots and pans as a wedding gift but found them to be the worst utensils you could posess? Do you have stories to tell of occasions you used them, just to show the people who gave them could see you were using them, but the meals ended in kitchen disasters because the pans weren't up to the job?

When I was first married, I was grateful for the generosity of the wedding guests, but their gifts were most tat stuff that wouldn't survive a year of being thrown at each other as we became accustomed to understanding what marriage was all about.

Over the years, I grew to undestand that all the lies told about Teflon-coated pans being non-stick only worked for a short time, but good quality stainless steel pans don't stick unless you're stupid. So from the mid 80s to the current day, we've been using pans I bought when I was rich, and I defy any celebrity chef who promotes an alternative range of pans to find fault with them, but the mid 80s seem like a century away now and I have to admit that although that although the pans are as serviceable as they ever were, they are starting to look tired.

When I was a younger man, I might have been inclined to take them to my workshop and restore them to a better than new condition, but I can't do that now, because I sold my workshop.

But relatively recently I need a pan to cook an ommete in and as the supermarket had a special offer on Scovile pans with a size that was just what I needed, I bought one. Since then, my sweetheart has bought several more. I can't tell you how much they made cooking simpler, but I'm not suggesting everyone rushes out to buy them, just raising an everyday matter that Personal contribultors who aren't interested in politics might for a change, care to discuss.

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

How do they make cooking simpler?

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

This was the problem about scrapping the Opinion forum. Personal used to be for pots and pans discussions.

4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

There’s a current thread about Lanyards @Duke of York

It cannot get any more mundane than that.

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I would beg to disagree: lanyards are symptomatic of a big brother style society with political undertones, imo.
    The thread on houseplants is, for example, far more in line with old-school Personal.

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

My cat is mundane, even if he is a one cat badass.

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I saw a squirrel yesterday.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

And fluffy kittens
    [​IMG]

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You ought to get yourself one of these.

Jamvic likes this.
  10. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

@rosievoice
    I HATE squirrels.....

We had one in our loft about 10 years ago, I spent 3 weeks sleeping on the couch as I couldn't cope with the noise it made!!
    It did vacate after the final eviction letter.

GCSE exams 2018 there was a scream, the next thing I saw was a bushy tail running around the school hall. It was a mangy squirrel. I'm in an all-girls school so you can imagine the mayhem. The exam officer of 30 years' experience said she had never before had to write a report for an exam board about why the exam was interrupted. It didn't even bring its own pen and pencil.

11. HistoryEducator

The personal section is more political points of view

agathamorse likes this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well, last weekend we threw a dinner party for eight friends. My boyfriend was doing the cooking, and when I asked if he needed any help, he told me to please just go and prepare the table.
    So I went through and told them all to brace themselves and at least remember to tell him the new paisley shirt is nice.

theworm123, agathamorse and colpee like this.
  13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

They've stopped the food burning on his hob.

No wonder they're popular

14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I remember for a while (following the cull of Opinion) we had people moaning that most of the threads on here were too trivial. Now these boards are positively RAMMED with intellectual heavyweights talking about Serious Stuff.
    So many experts. I hope you're all learning from them.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

My mundane contribution: I've been experimenting with monotypes (Degas' favourite technique)
    It's good fun, but some of the results are a bit too accidental and you never know what you're going to get until you peel the paper back.
    Also - very, very messy.

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  16. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

We had a squirrel in our loft. Absolute nightmare to get rid off. I hate them with a passion and even swerve in an attempt to run them over if I see them on the road.

magic surf bus and agathamorse like this.
  17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Ooh, a paisley shirt! Mr F has one of those. He wore it once. I made my displeasure very clear.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. HistoryEducator

My friends and family thought it was funny with the squirrels in the loft! I was on the verge of divorce and nervous breakdown.

For those of a certain age
    do you remember The Tufty Club?
    https://www.lep.co.uk/whats-on/tuft...squirrel-celebrating-his-65th-birthday-181951
    upload_2020-2-13_21-37-40.jpeg

19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

We are currently plagued by a squirrel attacking our bird feeders every morning.
    My husband has named it Johnson on account of his view that, like our PM, it is of US origin, is a pest and serves no useful purpose.

Jamvic and HistoryEducator like this.
  20. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I like squirrels. But I don’t want one in the loft.