1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How a late start and illness will affect my NQT year...

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by samsplace86, Mar 5, 2011.

1. A little advice please...
    I took a maternity post but didn't start until 27th September. I have also begrudgingly had 10 days of sick with an unknownly recurring inner ear thing (now on tablets for it). How will the combination of these things affect my NQT year?
    Thank you.

2. A little advice please...
    I took a maternity post but didn't start until 27th September. I have also begrudgingly had 10 days of sick with an unknownly recurring inner ear thing (now on tablets for it). How will the combination of these things affect my NQT year?
    Thank you.

3. it shouldn't, to any large extent. Your NQT year is a total of 190 days. There is no minimum or maximum time limit in which to complete this. It doesn't have to be 1 Sep to 31 Aug. Mine started on 3 Jan last year and will complete on 24 Mar this year, because I have had to do a succession of part-time, temporary maternity covers, just because there are no permanent posts out there. Your NQT Coord at school will keep a tally of your days, and should you have to change schools before the end of your induction, you may have to have more than your 3 termly reports, but no big deal. My advice is to keep your own record of evidence as to how you have met the standards so that you can show different NQT assessors, and make sure you get all the CPD, mentor meetings, observations and reports you should have. Also hassle your school to put you on courses - it's easy to be forgotten, or left out because as a temp teacher, there's no budget for your training. As for the sick leave, you're entitled to the same satutory sick leave as anyone else (not sure of the exact number of days), so as long as you don't exceed that, you're fine. And if you do, I imagine (I'm sure someone will tell me) that your LEA should extend your NQT year to take account.
    Hope the NQT year is going well. best of luck!

4. Hi
    Your induction starts on the day that you start, so 27th September and would, if the post lasted a whole year, finish at roughly the same point. The induction year can be reduced by up to 29 days in the case of exceptional circumstances (illness).
    James